Self contained vs side dinette

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I'm getting closer to making a decision. Next Saturday we are driving to Eagle, Wisconsin to meet with Sean at Go-Anywhere, LLC to discuss our options and look at the FWC's they have on site. I have watched closely the threads on Bill Harr and Captm's builds. I'm not mechanically inclined so my planned build will have most of the things we want built by FWC. After reading through the threads posted on a daily basis, I have questioned whether we need an inside shower. In fact I can't remember reading through any threads where someone got the self-contained FWC, and that caught my attention. Our planned type of camping will be a mix of National Park, State Park, BLM, NFS free camping. I can see if you are free camping you could get away with an outside shower, but in the parks that isn't allowed in most cases, though self contained outside shower might be OK. I don't have these answers so I'm hoping to get some feedback. The self-contained unit windows are covered by the seat cushions so the windows aren't really doing any thing. With the self-contained there is no air conditioning available, but I noticed that I didn't see A/C as an option, so I don't know whether that has been removed by FWC. Being able to sit at the side dinette and look out side at the view is important and the fact that we are in the Midwest means that summer camping in this location means humid nights and temperatures in the 80-90's so A/C would be important. We don't have the luxury to drive a couple of hours into the mountains and having night time temperatures in the 40's and 50's. I also would like some feedback about the differences between the cassette toilet and the porta potti. Everything I have been researching is about the cassette toilet, but the option listed shows porta potti. Tom's video on the self-contained has a cassette toilet. Pros and cons would be helpful and knowing more about the porta potti would be great. I understand the cassette but couldn't find any info on how the porta potti works. Thanks in advance for your comments. Also for mounting solar would you recommend mounting it on rails or just having FWC mount the individual panel straight to the roof?

John

longhorn1 said:
Being able to sit at the side dinette and look out side at the view is important...
Lots of good questions, most of which I don't know much about. But I'd suggest spending some time evaluating how important the windows/view are - and how much view you'll get - when you visit the shop. I've found that you can't really see much out of the windows because they're fairly low (especially if you're sitting right next to it with a side dinette).

Your view out the window is basically down - not much to see looking out. That's great if you're parked on top of a hill or on a riverbank above the water, but most of the time you'll have to bend over (even if you're sitting) to see anything besides the ground next to the camper.

I've heard that some people with shells sit on the floor and get a nice view, but if you're sitting on a chair the window doesn't do much anyway. It's good for some light, ventilation, and an emergency exit though. Plus, you can peek out and see if it stopped raining, and there are worse things to look at than the ground in the forest...

The cassette toilet is mounted in the camper. It has a cassette that's pulled out via an external door to dump waste. A porta-potty isn't mounted in the camper. You can take it out and use it outside if you choose. The top generally releases from the top to make it easier to dump. We opted for an outside shower and use a PETT dry toilet and WAG bags when needed. We have a privacy shelter if needed. We have a front-dinette. After examining how and where we'd use the camper, the large side window wasn't important. When we're camping we're outside unless the weather is bad. My solar panel is mounted on the roof. My Yakima tracks/racks are used for other things, kayak, paddle board, small basket, fishing poles, paddles, 4' ladder, etc. I have 4 Yakima crossbars on the roof. Remember you'll need external shore power to run an airconditioner. We normally keep the front-dinette configured as a bed again because we only eat and sit inside during inclement weather.

Try to sit in each if you can. I was sure I wanted a front dinette, and found a shell with one. After sitting in it and another at the FWC factory the wife liked the side dinette much better. She thought the front had less floor space and she did not want two counters one on each side like the front has. I still would like to spend a day or two in a front set up I still thing it has some advantages. We like the National Parks and State Parks also. Most have showers so I did not feel the need for a self contained unit, Porta-potty works for night time needs.

Bill

I'll weigh in on the dinette.I have a ATC Bobcat with the side dinette and IMO would not want the roll over couch.
It's not so much for looking out of the camper I just feel you can take greater advantage of the limited floor space with a dinette.
Remember you might eat outside,which we do when the weather permits.Otherwise it's nice to have a table to sit at facing each other.
Good luck in your choice.To me the couch with the table is like a TV tray at home.Not fun.
Shower wasn't even a thought for us.Most places to camp for us have a shower,but if not we feel we can go a couple days without until we come to a place that has one.Not a biggie for us.
We have a porta pottie,haven't used it in 4 years but it's there if we have the need.
Frank

The Pett toilet is easy to store, takes less room than the porta potti option, sets up easily, and does the job when needed. My wife and I like the side dinette for the same reasons that Frank mentioned. It is not the view outside that is most important to us, but the eating facing each other and next to a window is important. One can sit at the table with feet out of the way while the other is doing food prep. Just my $0.02.

Hi! I ordered a Grandby on the 16th. I did order the ac ($700), - not available in a shell. I wanted the rollover couch because it can seat three people, you can reach the cabinets from the couch, the person lounging in the cabover could get out without disturbing the person lounging on the couch (too much).

Frank, thanks. I'm thinking the same way. I never had an interest in the couch. I think the front dinette makes more sense. Now I need to find out if I go with a porta potti if FWC can install an A/C, something that wasn't possible with the cassette. Bill, Camper101, JHa6av8r also thanks for the comments. When I first looked at the self-contained Grandby, FWC said no A/C but maybe with the porta potti the game changes. This site has been very helpful and to that I owe Rotti a big thanks. Until last fall I was spending all of my time on RV.Net and Rotti brought me here. I wish I had the mechanical apptitude that many have so I could do my own work. There is a sense of pride when one is doing his own work.

I thought a lot about the side dinette. In some ways I liked the idea but my wife didn't so much. She thought it looks like the couch has a larger bed than the dinette. I still don't know if I would like the side dinette but I do like the roll over couch now that I have used it.

Unfortunately the Front Dinette configuration does not allow for an air conditioner no matter which toilet option you choose.

Hi Longhorn1,

The porta potti and the cassette toilet both work basically the same way. There is a tank of water, with deodorizing/disinfecting solution, and a removable waste tank. The waste tank is sealed when you are not using the toilet. You flush by pumping some of the water from the water tank through the bowl into the waste tank. When the waste tank is full, you detach it and carry it away to empty it. It stays sealed until you open it to empty. The main difference is the obvious one: the cassette unit is built in. It carries more water and probably flushes better, but the free-standing nature of the porta potti may be an advantage, too (use it outside, leave it at home). Plus it takes up a lot less room in the camper. Porta pottis come in several different sizes, some with bigger seats and more capacity than the small one FWC supplies. Either way, it's a tiny toilet. Both are made by the same company: Thetford. I'm sure there are other companies supplying toilets similar to and maybe better than the pora potti. One mentioned above is Pett, but I'm not familiar with it. Advice, anyone?

There are descripions of both toilets in the manuals section of the FWC website (260:cool:.

I chose not to order the cassette toilet because it takes up too much interior space. If you don't get it, you get several cabinets, including a big one at floor level where a porta potti can be stowed. I'll pick an appropriate-sized portable unit and buy it myself.

Good luck...

- Bernard

I'll chime in with our limited experience so far;
-We opted for the side dinette as the front dinette was not available in the Eagle model. (We chose the Eagle for its narrower profile) We are really pleased with the side dinette configuration, lets one of us get out of the way of the other comfortably, and we like sitting across from each other when eating inside.

-We have the Yakima10' tracks and I added the lighter Yakima cargo basket, so far it has hauled a small grill, firewood, solar shower, and will carry small fuel containers on longer trips. I also plan to add a third crossbar to carry a canoe at some point.

-For solar we just used the Solar Blvd. folding 80w panels for the first time last weekend, It kept us charged at 90% or greater for the three days that we sat. Was really nice to use all the lights etc. that we wanted without concern for battery drain. (My only power-saving mod has been to change all the lights to LED bulbs.)

-On an upcoming trip to the SW we plan to use our river rafting "groover" and WAG bags for a porta-pot. Our groover is a 5 gallon pickle bucket with a "Gamma" lid installed. And the WAG bags are super convenient as they hold 3-4 uses and can be disposed of in regular waste. We would use the much easier to store toilet by PETT (mentioned earlier) but the wife's dog knows what it holds! (Gross dog!) the Gamma bucket lid seals and keeps critters out and stink in! Our expectation is that we will use the groover very little, but it may be necessary for some dispersed camping. The link below describes a DIY groover:

http://www.stupidguidetricks.com/Camping%20Pages/groover.html

We also have the Thetford porta-potty. The 16.5 " high model. At age 70 we get up a couple times a night, real handy. Easy to use and dump and it easily fits in the narrow Eagle shell.

Before we bought we considered the side dinette, though decided on the "gaucho" couch because we wanted more room in the "cabin".

Solar: we use an external 60 watt from solar Blvd. Does a great job of maintaining the Engle refrigerator, LED lights and Fantastic fan.

A/C: If you buy a new camper FWC will frame out the opening for the through wall model and put a AC plug near it. Contact Brenda Carey - brenda@fourwh.com , Service Supervisor, for more information.

Back
Top Bottom