Selling camper in canada

CAPTAIN COORS

Looks like I'am selling my camper in Canada. What should I look out for ie taxes, import fees. Has anyone had experience with this kind of deal? SOLD SOLD SOLD

are you personally delivering the camper to Canada ?

or are the buyers coming to you in the US states to get the camper ?

if you are presonally going to Canada to deliver it, I would guess you can drive accross the border and tell them you are just going to visit your friends.

don't mention you are delivering the camper for sale.

The buyers can deal with paying taxes on the camper if they choose to declair it as a new purchase -- the monkey would be on their back, not yours.

If they pick the camper up here in the USA, they (not you) will have to pay some sales taxes (GST / PST) when they cross back over the border into Canada, again if they choose to declair the camper as a new purchase.

All they should need is a hand written or typed bill of sale with the purchase price, and the "MSO" Manufactures Statement of Origin.

Should be "good to go" after that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Stan, we plan on crossing the border and deliver to the buyer. I could ask at the border but that might open a can of worms. If you guys don't hear from me in a few weeks, check the jails in BC LOL

No Jay, we're keeping the house. Going to replace the 4wheel camper with a floldout tent trailer. We need more room to make our cocktails.

:eek:

I forgot about that (good tip BenG !).

Get your passport before going.

I just went to Chilliwack, BC a few months ago and we crossed at a small border crossing in Sumas, WA.

At that time they didn't require a passport, but I think June 1st was the start date where you now need one to return home.

We only brought a drivers license and a US birth certificate.

Be prepared to be treated like a criminal and get asked a ton of the same questions ... "do you have any Cigarettes in the truck?" ... "do you have any alcohol in the truck?" ... "do you have any knives in the truck?" ... "do you have any guns or bombs in the truck?" ... "have you ever appeared in front of a Judge?" ... "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" ... "do you have duty free goods in the truck?".

You typically won't see alot of friendly faces at the border crossing.

The only happy border crossing guard I saw in the 3 hours we were sitting there wanted a tour of the campers.

(we were waiting to get cleared to deliver 3 campers to our Six-Pac deler in Canada).

:thumb:

The funny thing ... after all the questions and background checks they put us through at the border, not once did they ever look inside the 3 campers we were delivering ?? So much for security.

=================================================

make sure you have a passport to get back into the USA

Since there is really no DMV registration needed for a TC, I'd say you and they are fairly clear of hassles... Don't ask, Don't tell - if it's good enough to be an official US military policy, it's good enough for us simpletons.

Whenever I've had to go to Canada on business, I learned long ago to just say you're going fishing in summer, and skiing in the winter. If they ask when or where you just say you're going to go wherever the locals say is best right now.

One time, before going to this method...., I simply told the truth - I'm there to attend a meeting. I was in the immigration office for 5 hours.

NAFTA isn't really NAFTA.

O\We bought our used Fleet in Seattle had it shipped to Alaska and I drove over to pick it up. Paid GSt 5% at the border and went home. We do not have sales tax up here. B.C does but not Alberta. No problem.
Robbie

Back
Top Bottom