Sequoia National Monument

Darryla

Has anyone been to Sequoia National Monument east of Fresno, CA? I am thinking about going there maybe Thanksgiving weekend? If so, can I get some comments?

Regards,

Darryl

It has been a few years, but we liked the drive through the groves of truly LARGE trees. It was not as crowded as Yosemite. I can't say about camping opportunities as we did a drive through. Well worth a visit IMHO.

Thank you Argonaut20. I am going to get a more detailed map of the area and see if there are any less populated areas up there to explore.

Did you mean "monument" specifically or the whole national park there? If you mean the park, we when through there in Oct. and hit up the big groves and such. We ended up camping at Lodgepole. There were others there but it wasn't packed or anything. There are some nice short hikes to the various trees and the southern part has some good views. I'm sure the 180 spur is great too but we didn't go out on it.

Has anyone been to Sequoia National Monument east of Fresno, CA? I am thinking about going there maybe Thanksgiving weekend? If so, can I get some comments?

Regards,

Darryl

Sequoia National Park and the Giant Sequoia National Monument are actually two different things. The Park has been there for over a hundred years; the Monument is south of the Park and was just established at the end of the Clinton administration. Both are well worth exploring. There is a $20.00 entrance fee for the Park and no entrance fee for the Monument. There are campgrounds in both. We live a few miles west of the Monument's western boundary in the little town of Springville. By Thanksgiving, I suspect that the campgrounds at higher elevations will be closed due to snow. If you would like more info, I would be happy to supply it.

Best,
Richard

Everyone: Thank you for the comments.

Richard: I prefer more remote camping even though I would like to see the park. If you think there would be closures within the next few weeks, I would appreciate any tips on where you suggest we explore. I am open to exploring the whole area. I just picked the monument name from the map.

Thank you all again,

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

If they haven't closed the road, you should drive the 20 miles (some unpaved) of twisties into Mineral King at the southern end of the park. At Mineral King there is a small, forested campground, an old mining town and many trails into the Sierra. Enjoy the bears!

Call the park first to make sure the road isn't gated for winter at the 15 miles mark.

Stew

Everyone: Thank you for the comments.

Richard: I prefer more remote camping even though I would like to see the park. If you think there would be closures within the next few weeks, I would appreciate any tips on where you suggest we explore. I am open to exploring the whole area. I just picked the monument name from the map.

Thank you all again,

Darryl

Darryl,

We too prefer the more remote camp spots. There is a complex of campgrounds a bit south of Three Rivers and northeast of Springville that most people simply refer to as Balch Park. There is a loop road that includes campgrounds at Balch Park (in my opinion the least desirable), Frazier Mill, Moses Gulch, Hidden Falls and a few others. This is a great area and this time of the year, almost no one will be camping there. The roads are still open and we will take a ride up there this afternoon to confirm that fact (we were looking for an excuse to get up into the mountains anyway). I will provide a quick report tomorrow morning.

Richard

Thank you Richard. I really appreciate it. I am getting some more detailed maps on Monday,

Darryl

We did take a ride up there late yesterday aftrnoon. There is a sign in Springville, right after you turn onto Bach Park Rd that saysthe camgrouds are closed, however, the important ting is that the road is open. We went to the Frazier Mill Campground and the Hidden Falls Campground. Did not see anyone camped at either spot. There was a recent dusting of snow and it was really beautiful. There are many giant sequoia trees in this area and many dirt roads to explore. There are pit toilets in these camps but you need to bring your own water this time of year.If you want more info when your maps arrive, please let me know. Where do you live?

Richard

Hi Richard: We live in Livermore so getting down you way is maybe 3 - 4 hours. No problem, we do it all the time. Give me a few days to figure out all these places you are talking about and I will get back to you.

I very much appreciate the guidance. I would like to go visit the area this time of year, but I do not want to end up on the news for doing something stupid.

Regards,

Darryl

Hi Richard: We live in Livermore so getting down you way is maybe 3 - 4 hours. No problem, we do it all the time. Give me a few days to figure out all these places you are talking about and I will get back to you.

I very much appreciate the guidance. I would like to go visit the area this time of year, but I do not want to end up on the news for doing something stupid.

Regards,

Darryl

Will wait to hear fom you.

BTW, good luck with your decision on the six cyl. regular cab purchase. We had an 88 Toyota 4x4 reg.cab, four cyl., five speed with a FWC Fleet camper on it for about 10 years. Great off road capabilities, a bit down on power, but we loved that rig.

Best,
Richard

Hi Richard: Yes, we have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 Std cab automatic,4 cyl. Its getting up there in miles too at 160k. But, I take really good care of it. I use very good oils and only put Toyota parts on it other than my suspension upgrades. Its my favorite car. It does ok, with the camper and will go anywhere in 4wd low -low. I need another vehicle for my little business I started that is now taking off so I am looking for another truck. Driving my supped up RX7 isn't working out too well. It uses a lot of gas and I have to worry about where I park the darn thing.

When I bought the Tacoma I have now it had 50k and was still under the factory warranty. I guess I need to find another one like it.

Darryl

Back
Top Bottom