Sheets used on FWC campers?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
I have a 2004 Hawk and am getting ready to head for the West. It has the original cushions (bolsters?)

In cold weather I plan to use a sleeping bag for sleeping. But in warm weather, i may need sheets or some other type of covering for the cushions.

Are there any sheets that fit the cushions? Or is there another alternative?

We sleep front-to-back in our Eagle. We cut the mattress down (all 5 sections) to take a fitted queen size sheet for the summer months.
In 2012 cost $200 in California,

I doubt there are sheets that will fit the cushions right out of the box, but you could always alter them. With the Grandby, we used a hospital blanket over the cushions, just tucked in around the edges. In warmer weather, we used the down mummy bags as a blanket, zipping them up if really cold. In real warm weather, just a sheet over the top.

2008 Hawk here.
We skip the pull out section of the bed and use the 48" x 78" OEM mattress. We fit them with full sheets, and use a down comforter in all seasons. Winter includes a wool blanket. No sleeping bags for us!

Like Lighthawk, we use the full size mattress non-pullout (it's actually 5"-6" narrower than a full-size mattress). We started off with regular full-size fitted sheets and secured with sheet straps underneath to keep them tighter since the mattress is only 4" thick with an added 1-1/2" memory foam mattress. We've since splurged on custom fitted sheets so I don't struggle with keeping all the excess fabric smooth out and tucked in. Pricey and it takes a few weeks to order, but works much better. Camping with sheets rather than sleeping bags is heaven. The bed is always made. We use the sheets, a light blanket and an unzipped rectangular sleeping bag for a comforter. It works year around. We usually sleep with the heat off in cold weather, and flip the thermostat on before getting up (we like it cool rather than warm in the camper).

I purchased Olympic queen sheets for our Eagle, they're just a little too long but we just tuck under the excess. Ron

We don't use the pull-out sections so we just use two queen-sized flat sheets and tuck the excess under. Comforter or two depending on expected conditions.

Alan

The cushions that came with my 2014 Fleet were about 2" too long for the bed. I replaced the wooden pieces on the walls, which support the bed when it is pulled out, with longer ones. An easy project and now the bed pulls out as far as possible and the cushions fit. It's a few inches each way less than a king-size mattress: 77 1/2" long by 72 1/2" wide (vs. 80" x 76"). A king-size fitted sheet fits fine, with a lot tucked under. A sheet for a very thick mattress might have too much tucked under.

I love this bed and sleep very comfortably on it. The bottom sheet stays on all the time, with the extra at the foot tucked under during the day when the bed is pushed in.

With the bed not pulled out, the mattress is 48" x 72 1/2". That is about the length of a single mattress and significantly wider. A single person who is not tall (like me) could use it and avoid the hassle of pulling out the bed each night and storing the extra cushions during the day. You would need a custom-size sheet, though.

- Bernard

I hate to HiJack the post but I bet someone has a quick answer. For those of you you that do slide out for extra size... how do you get in and out of the bed? Wife and I are Old Farts but still get around ;) With a side dinette I just don't see an easy way. Wife is only 5' 4" and has a tough enough time using storage/ battery area as a step up and down. She loses that advantage if we slide out the bed.

Back
Top Bottom