Shell Model on 2007 4-Cylinder Tacoma 4x4

surfponto

Hi All,
We will be in the market for either a Four Wheel camper or an ATC Shell Model in the coming year.
Plan is to build it up over the next couple years in preparation of retirement. :)

We currently drive a diesel Land cruiser with a Maggiolina Roof Top Tent which has worked great in Baja and Anza Borrego but we want a setup that is a bit more self contained.

My big question is how will our truck perform with the weight of the camper? The 4 Cylinder does great around town and off-road but I am curious how the extra weight will affect it.
I planning on beefing up the rear leaf springs

Thanks everyone,
Bob

Hi Bob,

We had a 1999 Tacoma X cab 5-speed manual 4WD 2.7 liter 4 cylinder, Our EMPTY Eagle shell weighed 545 pounds. By the time we added factory options, plus our own improvements - counter, sink, porta potti, portable Engle fridge and NOTHING else it weighed 1,000 pounds. Adding the rest of the gear, water, food, one needs to actually camp weight increased to about 1300 pounds.

We had no performance over 60 mph. Freeway hills meant 3rd gear, 50 mph speeds with our hazard flashers on - very dangerous driving conditions. A year later we replaced it with a 2013 Tacoma wit a 4 liter V6, trailer towing pkg whth 3.73 rear axel ratio and 4WD and 5 speed automatic. Night and day difference. Fully loaded for a week in the desert - 700 pounds over GVWR it passess semi's on 2 lane highways like a V8. Click on the link below my signature and review the Truck "chapter" about 2/3rds down the post.

I advise replacing your truck.

Replace it with a 3/4 ton full size truck and at least a Hawk or ATC equiv of a Hawk. You will need the room and the 3/4 ton has a higher GVWR for all the stuff you might carry on extended trips.

We knew all that and still prefer the mid size truck. Your usage should determine the "rig" you buy. Our usage was me alone using it in the desert in winter time which is to cold for my wife.. She is a summer camper. In summer we sleep in our shell and live and cook outside. If its raining or over 90* and we're traveling we go to a motel. Long distance trip we camp a few nights, then go to a motel a few nights. Works for us.

If your going to spend all of your time camping and you plan to take a dog or the grandkids you will need a 4 door truck and at least a Hawk to be comfortable.

Thanks Jim,
I suspected that would be the case.

Like yourself I am more of a Toyota guy but I am also a bit curious about the new Chevy Colorado diesel.
The specifications say 369 lbs of torque which seems more than adequate.

Your camper setup is exactly what I am looking for and I have been reading your posts which have some great ideas.

Thanks!

Bob

Retirement and choosing the "right" rig.
There is no perfect rig as your choice depends on how it will be used. For 12 years we had a Lance camper on a 3/4 ton 4 door 4WD truck. 90% of the time we camped hauling a ski boat and the kids. Going to the desert we took the camper off and slept in a tent or truck bed as the washboard would destroy the Lance.

When the kids were grown and left, we sold everything. After a few years we we bought a 4WD Tacoma (1999). I camped in it in the desert by myself. Perfect size for all the narrow trails I drove over. Eventually as I aged I needed more creature comforts as sleeping in a tent or back of the shell was too hard on my body. Wife and I camped one week a year in the summer sleeping in a tent. One week because she has other interests she is pursuing. In her early 70's now her current idea of camping is on cruise ship or resort in Hawaii (and lots of other places) That is reason we chose an Eagle Shell. Minimalist camping for me in winter. Sleeping comfort for her in summer. Small investment leaves more money to travel allowing us balanced camping/traveling.

Bob, you need to sit down with your mate and discuss what you want to do with an RV. Remember in a FWC or ATC there is minimal clothes storage. No bathroom privacy. If I didn't go to the desert 2- 3 weeks a year and the wife was open to more camping I would buy a big truck with a Lance or equiv camper or a Rialta class B motorhome.

Good luck and Happy Camping whatever your decision.

Thanks Jim,
Appreciate your insight. I like the way you think. :)
We want to be able to get to the more remote places in Baja and the local deserts which is why we are looking at the FWC or ATC popups.

i agree there are more comfortable options but I think for our initial investment the FWC or ATC will work for us.
We have enjoyed the Maggiolina Tent and that will work for the immediate future but long term we would like a better option.

BTW I like those Rialtas. Pretty nice setup :)

Thanks,
Bob

Then you have made the right decision, Bob.

We will see you out there or at one of the FWC rally's if you purchase a Four Wheel. :)

Back
Top Bottom