Shipping an Alaskan in a container ?

Manfred65

Somedays dreams become true! Bought a 2010 10ft Alaskancamper , found a reasonable Truck to load it and now we are waiting to do our next USA Trip to bring the rig home to Germany.

I considered RoRo-shipping first but now my question that can save 50% of shipping cost:

Has anyone ever shipped an Alaskancamper in a container? Height in a Highcube is no matter but what about the width?

All comments appreciated.

Hi Manfred,

My wife and I just shipped our 86 Alaskan to Colombia from Panama last month. The fit is snug but it will fit. You can read about our shipping process here: http://ducknotes.org/archives/528

We hope you enjoy your new Alaskan as much as we have enjoyed ours!

Ryan

@ Linda: We start our shipping Project around September 20. Starting from SiouxCity, travelling the Great Lakes heading to the East Coast. I consider to show up at some TruckCamper Dealerships and may be Palomino to check out a small business idea.

@ Ryan: Thank you very much for your help. I think the newer Alaskan are not wider than yours. The brochure says 88", may be without the position lights...I will call Bryan at Alaskan for help. But your pics say more than 1000 words! Thanks a lot!

Manfred

WOW.....all that work on your Jayco camper and still decided to GO ALASKAN.....serious congratulations Manfred....

you won't be disappointed

This is a very long time coming...with a big hand from and for Ryan

I'm sure Brian will also have some pointers

All the very best to you and your talented and determined wife... ;)

@Rusty: Thank you very much for your comment.

We met all the folks at Alaskan ( old and new owner) and also Linda while she got her 5.5 Alaskan last fall and i am in contact with Bryan. I bought the Camper from Don. Like new and a great deal!

Actually i am a little afraid from shipping in the container. I think Ryans older Alaskan is only 84" wide. The risk of damage will be really high.

Our Jayco would sell in a day but it will cause a divorce... ;-)

Manfred

Manfred - A couple additional pieces of information you might find useful.

The internal dimensions of a 40' high cube container are as follows:
L:12.056m 39' 6 ½ W:2.347m 7' 8 ¼ H:2.684m 8' 5½

Peculiarly, it doesn't cost any extra for a high cube container over a standard height container. I am not sure how tall your truck is that you will be moving the Alaskan on but if you need extra clearance, you can let air out of the tires to gain a couple extra inches. If you have an A/C unit on the Alaskan, it may be difficult to fit.

You are correct, my Alaskan is 84" wide. I'm not sure what the width is for the newer Alaskans. Keep in mind that your "eyebrows" over the windows and the lights stick out a little extra as well.

I hope that helps a little more and we hope to see some photos in the future!

Back
Top Bottom