Shipping To Alaska And Fishing Rod Storage

fishonyukon

Hi

Working with Marty to get a Panther shell model. We live in Whitehorse Yukon, Canada and have access to the port of Skagway. I am considering shipping from Seattle to Skagway Alaska but have never done this before.

A couple of questions:

1. anyone have any tips for shipping the camper Seattle to Skagway?
2. Any Canadian have tips in getting it across the border affordably?
3. I am a fishing nut, anyone have any great fishing rod storage options? I might want to get this built into the camper. I often have 6 rods going at once with the family and would love to not break them down but store/hang them somewhere inside or outside the camper for quick access?

Thanks Dennis@fishonyukon

You will like your Panther. I spent three months in mine last summer touring Alaska and running up the Dempster. I got the shell, too. Here are pics the day of install: http://www.allterraincampers.com/Darrell_Hopper_s_Page.html

I got the shell so that I could outfit it any way that would fit the mission. I removed the shelf unit on the driver side and built a shelf along that side from the rear to the front wall. The shelf is high enough that boxes of gear and stuff will support the canvas wall when the top is down. That is important.

I am able to store stuff along both walls and have plenty of floor room, too. There were several days that I spent the whole day inside in relative comfort. I took a Buddy heater along, which helped a lot. Only problem with that is that I had to constantly turn it off/on to avoid overheating the interior. My wife and I made an "arctic pack" type of curtain to insulate the upper walls. We used an old bed spread and put velcro strips on it. Worked great.

I used Unistrut (a complete system of structural pieces and attachment hardware) and recycled angle iron from a bed frame to make the shelf. I also added some Unistrut on the inside across the windows to slow any bears (two or for leg ones) from getting into things. They also serve as cargo anchor points. Plenty strong and easy to work with. No welding required and few holes to drill. Very flexible stuff to use. Home Depot carries it around here. Don't know about your area, but it can be ordered (http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-channels/=3stbng). Of course, you can always use wood. Just use your imagination.

I sent an email to a guy I met up in Watson Lake. He had a used FWC shipped up to him. If he isn't out catching fish or shooting game, he might be able to help you.

Oh, and if you are interested, here's a link to something that I designed (http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/777/page__hl__prototype__fromsearch__1). The week link is the cheap pulley. The bearings wore out. I have since replaced it with a different type to try it out. I also added a detachable "seat" that I use which allows me to sit and lift without actually having to push down with my hands. Works great, especially if you have the roof loaded. I had a rocket box loaded with supplies on the roof when I did the trip last summer. I never would have raised the roof without the lifter. You will also see other ideas in the link.

Good luck and enjoy the Panther,
Buzz

Hello Dennis,
I brought my FWC via Seattle to Skagway. Drove from Watson Lk. to Skagway it was loaded by alaska Marine Lines with two fork lifts (one on each side. Camper did not have jacks.
Drove up to customs. Minimal duty and GST and away you go.
Just call alaska marine lines in Seattle and it was no sweat. They gave me a shipping number which I gave to the fellow I bought the FWC from. He took the camper to the seattle dock on Monday I think it was and I picked it up friday the same week.
No problems...
Good luck
robbie

Working with Marty to get a Panther shell model. We live in Whitehorse Yukon, Canada and have access to the port of Skagway. I am considering shipping from Seattle to Skagway Alaska but have never done this before.

A couple of questions:

1. anyone have any tips for shipping the camper Seattle to Skagway?
2. Any Canadian have tips in getting it across the border affordably?
3. I am a fishing nut, anyone have any great fishing rod storage options? I might want to get this built into the camper. I often have 6 rods going at once with the family and would love to not break them down but store/hang them somewhere inside or outside the camper for quick access?

Thanks Dennis@fishonyukon
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom