Shipping/Transporting FWC

Bwht4x4

New member here with a question.

A friend of mine in TX (I'm in CA) is letting me have his FWC for a song! My issue is getting it to CA. There are a few options, but time for me to get away and make the drive there and back is tough. I was thinking of flying in and renting something for a one way trip back to CA. However, I'm finding it to be very hard to get a truck for a one way rental.

Does anyone have any good ideas that would allow me to fly in to TX and then drive the FWC back to CA? Would it fit in a Uhaul moving truck? I'm not even sure how I'd get it in there.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Here's a wild idea: Assuming you have a pickup for the camper already, you either get it modified to add the eye bolts or figure out a way to strap the camper on the pickup for the journey back. Unless time is critical, you might as well add the eye bolts yourself or take the truck to FWC and have them do it. Now ship your truck to your friend in TX either through an auto shipping company or find one of those companies that has people drive your vehicle to the destination. Then you fly in, mount the camper and drive home. Shipping the truck is probably cheaper than renting one what with the drop charges and all. Of course you'd have to do without your truck for while and that might entail some additional expense. But you could camp on the way home!

Something to consider,

Alan

What town in Texas is the camper in?
What town are you in?
What year and model is the FWC?
Does the camper have jacks?
I am going close to northern Texas about December 26th or 27th and I can haul any camper if it is not too far out of the way.

I built a dolly from 4x4 and plywood. put on 4 inch casters. worked great. bolted down, loaded on flatbed and drove it 1200 mile back home. still have the dolly to store the camper on.

Thanks everyone for the info. It turns out that my wife and I want a few more options than my friend's FWC and don't feel like having to retro them in at a later date. So, we're going to pull the trigger on a new one. It also saves me the hassle of getting there and back. Plus my buddy was reconsidering selling his FWC and sounds like he wants to keep it after all. I'm sure as I go through the planning sage of this purchase I'll have some more questions.

Thanks
Dwayne

Starting from new is a great feeling.You will be able to use the knowledge from this site for help in what options will work for you.
Enjoy your camper ordering process either FWC or ATC.
Frank

Thanks Frank. I just posted a new link looking for some advice on the build and options.

Back
Top Bottom