Shopping for Truck Campers

Yesterday I went down to the Denver area and visited three companies that make pop up truck campers. The first one I visited was Hallmark in Fort Lupton. Bill Ward took me back to where they put together the campers and it was interesting to see the different stages of build each camper was at.

I then went to Outfitter in Longmont which isn’t that far from Hallmark and looked at some of there campers. A guy named Bob took me in the back and showed me some of the campers they were working on. The work area at Outfitter is not as big and didn’t seem as busy.

My last stop was at Juniper Overland in Arvada which sells Four Wheel Campers but don’t make them there. I got to go to the back and they had two FWC there and Matt answered a lot of questions I had. Matt did say that the Ford made the ideal truck for their campers.

I didn’t have time to visit Phoenix Pop Up Campers but will try to get down there when I get a chance.

My top 3 choices from what I saw are:

1. Hallmark Nepal – This camper is top quality. It is small but Hallmark manages to get a lot of amenities in it. The only problem I see is that it is much more expensive than the other campers I look at. I will add that on the Hallmark lot for sale was a 2014 Toyota Tundra with a Hallmark Milner which are very similar to Nepal. It did peak my interest but was $68000 which is out of my price range.

2. Outfitter Caribou 6.5 – This is a little like the Nepal however there is no gray tank. The standard is considerably lighter than the standard Nepal although the weight will go up with added options. It may have been me but Outfitter pop ups seem a little wider than Hallmarks pop ups.

3. FWC Hawk – There is no gray tank, cassette toilet is optional and limited space inside yet I loved this little camper. The interior seemed so cozy inside. It is about the same price standard as the Caribou Lite 6.5 and weight wise a little heavier than the Caribou Lite 6.5.

My goal is to have a pop up truck camper by early next year but I still have things I need to do before I go ahead with a purchase. Will keep people updated.

If you want interior customization take a look at All Terrain Campers (ATC) in Sacramento. It’s a small shop with lots of experience, and they do great work. When you call, you’re usually talking to Marty or Jeff, the owners. There are a number of us here on WTW who have moved to ATC. They typically are a little less expensive than the other builders, and their customer service reputation is sterling.

https://www.allterraincampers.com

Here’s a thread that compares FWC and ATC. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14905-fwc-or-atc-opinions-facts/

Either company will build you a great camper, but the customer service and willingness to customize is what swayed me.

​Everyone is different but for me having a grey tank is not worth it. Takes up a lot of space and adds weight. If you start adding weight, you'll need a 3/4 - 1 ton truck which is a different ball game price wise. It seems like you were looking at 1/2 ton campers so I'd skip the grey tank/toilet.

I agree with the above postings. ATC and FWC are both fantastic companies. Customer service is great and both will treat you right. I'd talk to both of them if you want custom or semi-custom, get prices, time lines, etc. and if you aren't in a hurry you can think it out. That's if you want new. If not, there's a whole different list of options; get a shell model and build it out, etc. Get a "project" and re-do it (that's what we did). I had fun doing the tear-out, re-fit, etc. to see how everything goes together but it's not for everyone.

Enjoy the process! If you go used, know what you want and you have to jump quickly if you see something at a good price point.

Kevin

Hello professorchaos
If you have not started looking at truck cargo weight rating now is the time. There are folks who have purchased camper and there is no more room for any other items. Also there are more used campers then when we bought ours, keep that in mind as you could defiantly spread your cash further. Good luck and have fun, it will be an adventure to remember.
Russ

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If you want interior customization take a look at All Terrain Campers (ATC) in Sacramento. It’s a small shop with lots of experience, and they do great work. When you call, you’re usually talking to Marty or Jeff, the owners. There are a number of us here on WTW who have moved to ATC. They typically are a little less expensive than the other builders, and their customer service reputation is sterling.

https://www.allterraincampers.com

Here’s a thread that compares FWC and ATC. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14905-fwc-or-atc-opinions-facts/

Either company will build you a great camper, but the customer service and willingness to customize is what swayed me.
Welcome to WTW and good luck in your camper quest. My last camper was a FWC and we really enjoyed it. After 10 years of use, I knew what slight tweaks I wanted in the next camper.

Currently, I have an ATC Panther and love it. ATC was happy to accommodate the customizations I requested. I picked it up last summer making a California camping trip out of the process. You can see photos here

ATC is a pleasure to work with and I would absolutely do it all again.

I live in the south side of the Denver metro area in Roxborough Park. If we can work out a convenient time to meet I would be happy to let you take a look at my ATC Panther.

All of those are good campers, but each has a slightly different niche. We did the same mfg. tour a few years back and it helped to see things first hand. Quality-wise the ones you mentioned plus ATC are all first rate and I don't think there is a bad decision.

I may have missed it but what truck are you matching this to? And what trips are you planning?

If you plan on snow camping, many reports on Wanderthewest that vinyl sided popups are 3 season campers. Some do it in winter, but I would not. I would go with Alaskan for serious winter camping.

I have an FWC Fleet, a year old, and just did a one week cross country ski trip in the Idaho Mountains. It was spring skiing and lowest temp at night was 20*F which is warm relative to winter. I was OK with a little portable propane heater in the morning, but had considerable condensation on the ceiling when I got up. A furnace would help but I would not sleep with a propane furnace running even if it is vented outside -just don't trust them. Vinyl was stiff in the morning so a bit harder to get it tucked in when the roof came down. Snow and ice would not be fun.

As noted above, what are the individual axle ratings for your truck and the combined GVWR. You need to keep those numbers in mind when checking out campers or you'll be spending more money to try to keep the rig from dragging it's butt down the Happy Highway! Ask each mfger what the weight of their camper is with the extras you want on it, then add the weight of two adults (300 lbs?) plus all the food, gear and goodies you want to take with you and compare that to what your truck will carry.

At some point you have to decide if you have "enough truck" or not and then the extra money spent beefing up your suspension, etc. may be a dent in the budget or...a truck with a bigger cargo capacity is needed. At that point if you buy a truck with enough cargo capacity, you may be able to buy a slightly bigger camper with more ROOM in it and more bells and whistles.

It is a balance you should check out before placing an order....

So...what make/model/bed length and VIN tag numbers do you have? Owners of the FWD or ATC campers or others here may be able to tell you if you have "enough truck" based on what you envision you want to order. Helpful bunch of campers here!

Collapsible bucket does just fine for grey water. As for a vented heater, if its safe enough for a house I think its safe enough for a camper.

craig333 said:
Collapsible bucket does just fine for grey water. As for a vented heater, if its safe enough for a house I think its safe enough for a camper.
X2. We've always used a collapsible 5 gallon container on all three of our FWC models and it works great with zero drama. So I'd strongly suggest removing a formal gray water tank from your criteria.

And the new FWC furnaces are much quieter and energy efficient than older ones.

I was looking to purchase a shortbed 3/4 ton Ford pickup 4x4 with gas engine and extended cab. I know most 3/4 ton fords have about a 3000 pound payload which i think should be plenty for a Nepal, Caribou Lite, or Hawk.

BilltheHiker, could you tell me if you had the Arctic Pack with your Fleet camper?

Durango1 said:
X2. We've always used a collapsible 5 gallon container on all three of our FWC models and it works great with zero drama. So I'd strongly suggest removing a formal gray water tank from your criteria.

And the new FWC furnaces are much quieter and energy efficient than older ones.
I strongly disagree with removing a gray water tank from your criteria. You can add it yourself later, several ways to do it just do a search. Yes, the collapsible jugs work. I just enjoy stopping somewhere for lunch and being able to wash up without having to hook a hose up. We do not use a great deal of water and dump the small gray water tank when we break camp. Great for putting out the campfire.

ProfessorChaos said:
I was looking to purchase a shortbed 3/4 ton Ford pickup 4x4 with gas engine and extended cab. I know most 3/4 ton fords have about a 3000 pound payload which i think should be plenty for a Nepal, Caribou Lite, or Hawk.

BilltheHiker, could you tell me if you had the Arctic Pack with your Fleet camper?
Professor, No I have not and do not plan on enough cool weather camping to add one. Pretty much happy with my setup.

I spent more than a year with a pop-up offroad capable camper on my radar, and based on what we wanted, what I researched, the folks we spoke to with pop-up campers at the NWOR last year,and a fantastic and informative conversation with the Canadian Four Wheel Camper rep we ordered a FWC Hawk. So far I have been very impressed with the quality of the camper's construction and amenities. For me a big part of any major purchase is how comfortable I feel with the company and local representation of the product.

I also purchased a truck specifically for this new camper and the adventures that we will be taking her on over the next 15+ years. Based on what I was looking for in a truck, I bought A Tundra. I've upgraded the suspension and I wouldn't trade my Tundra for any other truck out there, not a one.

The available front dinette floorplan of the Hawk fit our needs perfectly, and we ordered her with pretty much every available option we could think of. We previously had a kitted out Xterra wit ha rooftop tent that was used for adventures, and a travel trailer for glamping. We decided that we were prepared to make compromises here and there to have the Tundra and Hawk combination cover all of our camping and adventures. I purchased a Thetford Curve porta-potti and modified the lower cabinet so that it fit in there perfectly. I have no problems with a lack of a grey water tank, it's a small price to pay for being able to camp in comfort in places where others rarely get to experience. The furnace is a great option, especially as we have winter-camper and do like to push camping into all 4 seasons. In the past 15 years, with 2 tent trailers, one travel trailer, and now the Hawk I have never had any issues, and always felt comfortable, with having the furnace set to come on at night if need be.

I would narrow it down to a couple options (if a couple are available) and then deal with whomever you feel most comfortable with.

Great post, we are navigating this exact dilemma. Also pondering the Overland Explorer Camp X.

Any additional thoughts on this topic.

Thanks everyone!

^ Re: OE, am also interested. I believe they are in the midst of building a batch now. May be a good time to be checking into them. There's a recent-ish pic of part of the new interior on their FB page but not a whole lot more off-website that I know of. Saying R8 for walls/ceiling/floor, R4 for soft wall. That would be a good reason to consider, I would think. That and the composite construction and perceived durability/strength. Other reasons too of course - depending on the buyer, myself incl.

Natch FWC is a more evolved product, has many more models and options, history etc.

billharr said:
I strongly disagree with removing a gray water tank from your criteria. You can add it yourself later, several ways to do it just do a search. Yes, the collapsible jugs work. I just enjoy stopping somewhere for lunch and being able to wash up without having to hook a hose up. We do not use a great deal of water and dump the small gray water tank when we break camp. Great for putting out the campfire.
I’m with Bill on this..think about what you’re going to do with your 5 gallon container when you move from your campsite and aren’t suppose to dump it on the ground...yuk!

I realize that everyone’s needs and wants are different but I’ll put a shameless plug in for Hallmark. We did the same thing you did when we decided to get a truck camper and by the time we added everything we wanted in our camper the prices weren’t that different. Plus there’s a lot of things that Hallmark does that aren’t offered by other manufacturers. For instance the side walls are actually a 3 piece panel...much warmer than a single piece. The roof is much stronger and the raising mechanism is easy and foolproof to use.

Also, they are small enough to customize the build exactly the way you want right down to the fabric used on the interior.
If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Also, good choice on the F-250!

Good luck on your search. I have had my eyes on Alaskans for quite a while and hope to pick up a good used znCao later this month if all goes well. For my needs, I want camper that is not affected by temps and other conditions, Alaskan fits the bill, plus a lot of good used ones out there.

Back
Top Bottom