Short Camper On Long Bed....Questions

davinski

As some of you already know, I have been starting to look for a newer truck to replace my 1/2 ton. It is a short bed and I have a 2001 hawk shell on it. Had it for about 3 years now. Best thing I ever bought. Looking at trucks, though, I see a lot of full sized beds out there. So, I might be able to get a deal on one of this longer trucks.

My questions are: Does anyone carry a Hawk on a long bed? How do you carry it and how does that work out? Never hurts to have extra storage. On the other hand, I might get Granby envy and end up looking for a bigger camper. Just that all that work on the cabinets on the inside of the shell I would hate to have to do again...

Just looking for thoughs. I do remember seeing somewhere a short camper on a long truck but don't remember nor can find those posts.

Thanks,
Dave

the camper won't slide all the way forward most of the time (will hit the wheel well humps).

so you might want to build a storage box to put in front of the camper.

here are a few pictures I have saved over the past couple years.

Attachments

• Hawk Model on a short bed truck #2.jpg
    Hawk Model on a short bed truck #2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Hawk on Long Bed Dodge.jpg
    Hawk on Long Bed Dodge.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Falcon on 6 foot bed # 1.jpg
    Falcon on 6 foot bed # 1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 148
a couple more.... really happy with my setup

Attachments

• hawk5.jpg
    hawk5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 155
  • hawk6.jpg
    hawk6.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 152
JeffG:

Nice! Am looking at trucks likes yours. I notice you keep the tailgate on....how does that work out for you.
Also, what do you carry in the spare space? I was thinking of getting a toolbox/gas box to add extra miles. An extra 50 gal would make 5 cal cans unnecessary. I can probably think of all kinds of crap I could put there.

Right now, I have a yakima rack on the cab in front of the camper. Has a wind fairing to keep the noise down, and a basket to store stuff like water, firewood and the like. Storage is always an issue.

Do Share.

Dave

hey dave,

ya i really like the covered storage between the camper and the truck, i usually store my water there (5 gal jugs) a spare propane can, i built the pine box to fit one nice and snug and i have a hose and adapter so if the camper tank runs out i can run the hose from the bottle to the camper even to the bbq on teh tailgate without having to move the spare tank around.

i have few small coolers that fit in there, i have had 5 jerry cans there (plastic militry size ones) that i take when i go sledding but have relocated them to the trailer, quite often i put my chainsaw and stuff there also. once you fill up that area ther is still lots of dry secure spot above the bed to put a few more duffels etc.
oh ya most of the time up here you can keep your beer cool out there and just reach through the window.

i suppose something to keep in mind is the event of a collision so you will want things to be pretty secure.

i like to leave the tail gate on... because i can. i fold it up for travel, when parked it keeps people from getting too curious, great platform to cook on or bbq or dust off your feet before getting in, i intend on putting a diamond plate piece or possibly some oak plywood i have kicking around to make it a nicer surface to work on.

JeffyG:

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I google mapped your town and you are right on the road out of Prince Rupert. I have been thinking of taking the ferry from vancouver island over to prince rupert and then trying to drive over to Northern BC. I have some friends that live in Fort St John and would love to visit. Of course, get some fishing in as well on the way.

Was reading aboud hwy 37 up there. Sounds like a cool way to travel. I would assume you have driven it, what do you think?
I might have to stop and have a beer if I do this route. Of course, if you wanted to show me the ropes of N. BC I would love to hear about good fishing stops.

Dave in Seattle

hey dave

great part of the world, i have taken that ferry 2x now and although its a little pricy its well worth of it think of it as a mini cruise.... the second time i did that trip i had my camper on and i got dinged overhight so instead of my 360 dollar ticked up it was well over 600... ouch i was pretty choked but thats another story. my understanding is they retired that boat for a newer bigger one and it allowes for taller standard vehicles so you should be fine.

bar none some of the best fishing in the world.

i am about 3 hours drive up 37 right now at a mining camp for work

drop me a line when you are heading this way, if i am in the neighbourhood i would definitely show you around

jef

Back
Top Bottom