Show Me Your Camp Tables

Desertboater

Since acquiring my Eagle, I've been trying to figure out my outdoor cooking setup. So far, I've just been pulling the mostly useless table that came with the camper (post and socket style) outside and using that. The issue is that A) my stove takes up most of the space on the table, and :cool: the table is really wobbly.

I'm wishing for a setup like what I used to have here.
IMG_2782sm.jpg

I've tried roll-a-tables, and they're just too wobbly, and you can't set a hot stove down without melting the fabric. Even the aluminum slatted versions are too low and still wobbly.

So my question now, assuming you cook outside, what is your setup?

Cheers,
West

Since acquiring my Eagle, I've been trying to figure out my outdoor cooking setup. So far, I've just been pulling the mostly useless table that came with the camper (post and socket style) outside and using that. The issue is that A) my stove takes up most of the space on the table, and :cool: the table is really wobbly.

View attachment 14879

I've tried roll-a-tables, and they're just too wobbly, and you can't set a hot stove down without melting the fabric. Even the aluminum slatted versions are too low and still wobbly.

Cheers,
West

While out for a walk I thought of an idea that I would use if I had that need.Have you thought of some kind of fold down table attached to the right rear of the camper. It would fold up behind the door ,if your door opens to the right. It could measure 18"x30+"high.If you have rear steps you could cut out a opening just large enough for the step to fit through when the step is in the open or closed position.Than have a hinged leg to support the table in the down position.
Just some ideas to get you thinking.
Good luck with a table. Frank

I usually just carry this one.
camptruckcoleman.jpg

I have a larger folding table I take if I'll need it. I don't mind carrying folding tables. They're the last thing that goes inside, helps hold everything in place, and the first thing out, giving me a nice clean spot for unloading gear.

View attachment 14879

Cheers,
West

Sounds like you want one of those cool, river guide setups I've admired, with a long wood deck and flip down legs. Problem is, those things are six feet long!

We use the roll-a-table and yes, it's bit wobbly. Still my Webber Q fits, plus associated cooking paraphernalia.

When stowed the table lays behind the roll over coach, the Webber is a bit tougher to store, but fits under the couch. We also have a mini table we put between the two chairs for plates, etc.

This fall I plan to copy a table that I had before. I can't think of anything better - it weighed next to nothing, was strong, stable and took up very little storage room. I used 1/4" Baltic birch 18" x about 4 feet with spruce ribs (like floor joists) 5/8" high x 1/2" wide and glued at 3" or 4" centers. It will fasten to the rear of my Cat beside the door with an extruded aluminum slot that is sold at camper supply places. The slot will be fastened to the camper and the corresponding male part fits down into it then when it is lowered flat the table is solid. The other end will have hinged legs at the two corners which fold up into the spaces between the ribs for storage. When the legs are down for use the table is self leveling and stable. It will fold to only 7/8" thick and should fit into the 3/4" space (with a bit of shuffling I think) between the bed and the camper. I might experiment and substitute 1/8 " ply and see how solid it is. It's amazing how strong my original table was even though it wasn't a true torsion box construction. This is similar to what Casa ERT was thinking about but it might stay cleaner if it is tucked away. If you wanted to make it really bomb proof you could use stainless steel door hinges at the camper and just pop the pins in. Murr

I've been thinking on this since we tend to use either our Magma bbq or Dutch ovens in the bbq more than the stove inside. Currently we have legs for the bbq, but since I want to get the spare out from under the truck I've designed a swing-away spare carrier. With the 315's we'll have to open the swing-away for door access anyway, so part of the plan is a fold-down table on the inside of the swing-away as well as the bracketry to mount the Magma using the life rail mounts as used on boats.

Currently we do have a wood version of the roll-up table that my step-father made for us as part of his wood-working hobby. There is a thread (an OLD thread) on Expo on building these. Look for "Articulate"'s participation. While it is a little wobbly it works quite well.

While out for a walk I thought of an idea that I would use if I had that need. Have you thought of some kind of fold down table attached to the right rear of the camper. It would fold up behind the door ,if your door opens to the right. It could measure 18"x30+"high.If you have rear steps you could cut out a opening just large enough for the step to fit through when the step is in the open or closed position. Then have a hinged leg to support the table in the down position.

Frank, I really like the idea of an attached table, however if the table were attached at the back, I would need to run new propane lines for the stove, or pick up a smaller tank. My other issue with the table at the back (also fixable) is that the camper already has an awning on the drivers side...having cooked in the rain with my old setup and now with the awning, it's a world of difference.

I've been trying to figure out some sort of table that folds down from the side, but the bracketry involved is beyond my metalworking skills. I think it would end up needing to be something akin to the backrest that comes with the bench seat in the cab, so that it both folds out and becomes perpendicular to the cab and also lowers from it's mounting point, then folds back up flat against the side of the camper when in travel mode.

Lighthawk, a river table setup would be almost perfect, and I'm sure I could talk to a company here in Flagstaff about building me one that's shorter than usual. Currently it's just more money than I'm willing to throw down...$330 for their small table... :eek:

Any other ideas?

Been using the wobbly aluminum roll up for years, gets the job done for us. Light weight, packs small. If the ground happens to be soft enough you can usually sink the legs in to compensate for the wobble.

gallery_311_152_79525.jpg

gallery_311_152_92075.jpg

Been using the wobbly aluminum roll up for years, gets the job done for us. Light weight, packs small. If the ground happens to be soft enough you can usually sink the legs in to compensate for the wobble.

X2 I have an REI roll up/fold up table that gets setup. Takes up almost no space and is light...

We've been using one of these for years. Lots of room sturdy and works great.
http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=928

I sketched this out over a year ago and haven't made it yet (I'm still learning how to weld aluminium).

It's a full length, fold down - fold up table along the side of the camper. Long enough, the entire length of the camper, that I think it could be a cooking and a serving table, but not an "eating at" table, unlees standing up. Not an original idea by me, I think I saw somethng like it here on WTW or over on ExPo, but, who knows, sometimes my memory fails me and instead I get something original to pop out.

The table will have some ribs in it to make it stiff and may have a backsplash (still deciding on that)

It folds flat against the side of the camper (middle drawing) and locks in place using the jack brackets (I don't drive with the jacks mounted). It uses a bracket at the front and rear of the side overhang (shown in the left drawing) to allow the table to slide in and out, with a gravity cutout in the slide slot on both ends. The outside gravity cutout is required to keep the table out and not slide in against the truck body, the inside, gravity cutout is just another secure anchor point when up.

To deploy the fold down table, unlock it from the jack brackets, lift the table up, out of the inside gravity cutout in the slide, slide it out and into the outside gravity cutout and rotate the table from vertical into the horizontal down position.

It's supported in the down position with a cable attached to the jack brackets, probably with a carabineer or some other type of secure quick release device.

I'll probably have to have some small sponge or rubber pieces that are collapsible a bit on the outside of the camper in a couple of strategetic places, when it is in the up position, to prevent movent and noise or other possible damage. Locking in the up position MUST be absolutely secure, failure to keep the table in the up position while driving is NOT an option. I'm thinking a bolt into a threaded hole for the "locking pin", however, that detail is still up in the air.

ExteriorFoldDownTable4.jpg

My truck (Ford Ranger 4x4) seems to be just about the right height to have the table in the down position for a good height to work on. On other trucks this may not work out as nice as on mine. The drawing above is not to scale.

I have no access doors on the driver's side on my ATC Bobcat shell (a nice smooth side, no protrusions), however, if you have those doors, this solution would require lowering the fold down table to either; 1) open the doors, or 2) if you run anything that needs venting while parked. You may need to also make some standouts, to keep the table off any protrusions you have on the side of the camper. And, if you run anything that needs venting while driving, and the table covers up the vents, this is not a good solution. Have an outside shower, maybe not a good solution either.

This could also work on the passenger side of the camper, however, in the up position it would block the window (it might provide some window protection when the trail is narrow and the branches are overgorwn).

As I said I haven't made it yet, I've only done the preliminary geometery calculations. I'd suspect that the support cable would be stowed inside the ATC Bobcat, as it would probably make a lot of noise outside while driving.

Just another idea from out of left field or maybe the peanut gallery.

Allen your idea is a clever one,just re looked at your drawings and it makes a lot of sense.If anyone has a side awning that would be a good place to cook under,rain,sun or whatever.
I think with some modification and some tricky ideas it could even be made to not block the side window. Something to keep the brain wheels greased with.Lots of good solutions just have to pick one that fits your needs. That's one of the things I like about our campers lots of ways to modify them.
Keep the ideas coming. Frank

I can not believe I remembered this, by lqhikers made this table.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/1731-fwc2002-taco/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=463

Mike

The folding table is a great idea for sure!

Here is a pict of my setup with old skamper camper. I sport two of the fold up aluminum tables. The work great and are really easy to pack.

P5210444.jpg

P5210457.jpg

Other tidbits: The RV mat is AWESOME if you are set up for a bit. The propane fire pit(custom lid)also works great! I tapped into the campers propane and have a 20ft extension hose to move it around. The tarp I cut out and added magnets to the top. It just magnetized to the rig and is a GREAT wind block.

I sketched this out over a year ago and haven't made it yet (I'm still learning how to weld aluminium).

ExteriorFoldDownTable4.jpg

HOLY COW!! That's absolutely brilliant! I've been trying to figure out something like that, but the height of the hinge point was so high, that a lowering mechanism would be needed. By using the underside of the camper overhang, you could not only set the table out away from the side of the truck, but also add additional height adjustment to account for truck height...Genius!! Now I need to learn how to weld aluminum too...

Now you've got me thinking about how exactly to allow the jacks to still be used without removing the table assembly.

Cheers,
West

Back
Top Bottom