Shrinking windows

Beach

Has anyone else experienced this? The clear windows in my 05 Hawk barely reach the Velcro at the top of the window cut out. Does the clear window panel shrink with age, if so, is there any way to stretch it out some. The grey fabric is fine(no shrinkage) just the clear.

Mine are still OK -- in my 2005 Hawk. But I bet the extent of the problem depends on how much, how long the clear vinyl is exposed to the outside world, especially the sun. It could be a loss of plasticizer -- which is what makes vinyl flexible (and as plasticizer is lost the polymer chains shrink up).

Have you been using 303 Protectant? It will probably help reduce future problems...though may not un-shrink shrunken vinyl.

+1 on the 303. And thanks for the reminder, I need to do mine before I leave for my trip to the east coast.

Yes I use 303, we buy by the gallon and use it on inflatable boats at my work. I did the bi annual application last weekend. The windows were in this condition when I bought the camper about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm thinking about rigging up something to gradually stretch them back out, I'd be good if I got 1/2", or maybe just extend the Velcro. Hey MarkBC, I think I'll stick to soy sauce and brown sugar rub for the grilled Salmon.

Wonder if 303 would improve the taste of grilled eelpout?

Also wonder if heat would help stretch the vinyl? Sun or judicious use of heat gun?

jim

Back
Top Bottom