Shrunken clear vinyl "windows"

natjwest

Contributors
I understand that this is a common issue on some model years. I have a 1991 Grandby and the clear vinyl windows are extremely shrunken. Two of them don't stay up worth a darn, the other two leak water pretty well.

I had two ideas to fix this problem. The first (easy) one is to make some double-sided velcro, about two inches thick, to act as an extension to the shrunken window to get it to mate with the perimeter velcro.

The second (hard, I think) is to pop out the stitches all along the window bottoms and then hand-sew in new vinyl. I would have to use a needle and thread, not a sewing machine, and would try to sew back in the same needle holes as the originals. That option seems very time-consuming.

What have other WtWers done with their shrunken clear vinyl windows?

Would it be possible to apply some heat to the window and stretch it and velcro it in place until it cooled?

CWD

That is what I was hoping would be a solution: when it got warmer the windows would magically fit again, but I suspect that is not really going to happen. How do the windows shrink to begin with? I am faced with the same situation and was thinking about the bridge of material, at least in the short term.

The re-fit in warm weather won't work for me. I bought my camper in August, in the hot heat of Central California and they fit poorly then. Only slightly poorer now, in the bitter cold. I am pretty sure that the shrinking occurs in heat so I don't want to apply more heat, like a shrinky-dink.

Another option I came up with is to slice off most of the window and use some high-strength vinyl tape to adhere a new, properly cut window with fresh velcro. I don't much like this idea, but there you go.

As with most things, I believe that the hardest way will be the best. (Popping stitches and hand-sewing a new window.)

Go to an auto or marine upholsterer. They replace the plastic windows in convertibles and boats all the time.

As for me, I was planning to get new soft sides when I could, with the new-style windows. While there at the factory, I was going to hire them to re-fit everything else, as well.

Now, I am leaning toward starting fresh with a Grandby shell and building it out *my way*.

Another option I came up with is to slice off most of the window and use some high-strength vinyl tape to adhere a new, properly cut window with fresh velcro. I don't much like this idea, but there you go.

As with most things, I believe that the hardest way will be the best. (Popping stitches and hand-sewing a new window.)

I have the vinyl in hand and am looking at the same two options: to sew or to use vinyl tape or glue. So...which one have you done...and how did it go?
mizlightbulb

I have the vinyl in hand and am looking at the same two options: to sew or to use vinyl tape or glue. So...which one have you done...and how did it go?
mizlightbulb

I did the double-sided velcro option. The sticky-backed velcro was a LOT more expensive than plain backed, so my wife stitched the two sides together. I have used it for a while and it seems to do an extremely adequate job. So adequate in fact that I'm not going to do anything else to it, until and if the time comes when I need to replace the entire vinyl upper.

I would include a photo but my camper is parked elsewhere while I do a major construction project at the house.

An upholstery shop wanted about $500 to do the job.

Back
Top Bottom