Shunt style monitor w/ Self Heating LiFePO4

Jsoboti

Advanced Member
Haven't been able to track down an answer to this, but I'm sure it's come up for some folks...

Assuming cold temps, and the self-heater inside the battery is required before the battery starts charging, some of the current that passes through the shunt (counted as % charge added) would actually be used for battery heating, not battery charging. Is this the case?

If so, what's the most accurate way to know your self-heating LiFePO4 battery's state of charge?

Several of the cheaper ones don't seem to have a smart enough internal BMS to provide this info. Honestly this one thing may lead me to purchase more expensive Renogy batteries that have a blue tooth connection right at the battery, giving SOC, self heater status, etc.

Thanks!

Good question. I don't have self-heating BBorn batteries, but if I did, I would simply use the "synchronize" feature on the BMV to set it back to 100% when I am sure they are fully charged. Maybe after (or before) every trip?

Vic Harder said:
Good question. I don't have self-heating BBorn batteries, but if I did, I would simply use the "synchronize" feature on the BMV to set it back to 100% when I am sure they are fully charged. Maybe after (or before) every trip?
Good pint Vic, that would work if I were confident that I could do my whole trip on a single charge for sure.

Unfortunately I'm pretty OCD and I do find myself constantly checking my SOC, even when I know I'll be good. Boys and their toys eh?

Back
Top Bottom