Side Dinette and Solar Charge Controler location

super doody

I have a 2015 Hawk with side dinette and I'm looking to install solar. I've decided on the panel (160 watt rigid), have the plugs ready to go and Yakima tracks but can't decide on 1. the location to place the controller 2. the type of MPPT controller (like the possible to go a 24 volt system).

In terms of location I have two choices: a. the factory location which is above the thermostat or b. by the battery as installed by Ski in Ted's camper:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8494-the-teds-have-a-new-hawk/?p=98273

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Installing the controller close to the battery would be a better choice. This reduces the distance from the battery and thus your losses due to the length of the run. Depending on the controller, most of the time you only get indicator lights and having the controller in a visible location may not yield any benefit.
Before switching to Lithium, I had a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller and it work well for me.

Harv

Why not install it in the battery compartment where it is out of the way?

The indicator lights from the MPPT charge controllers rarely give you much information. Often they have a separate monitor that can be placed out in the open for information.

Plus the charge controller wires would have to be hidden if they were out in the open for safety.

Having everything put away makes it easier.

And I'd agree with photohc about the efficiency of a short run to the batteries.

DrJ said:
Why not install it in the battery compartment where it is out of the way?

The indicator lights from the MPPT charge controllers rarely give you much information. Often they have a separate monitor that can be placed out in the open for information.

Plus the charge controller wires would have to be hidden if they were out in the open for safety.

Having everything put away makes it easier.

And I'd agree with photohc about the efficiency of a short run to the batteries.
Thank you Dr. J and PhotoHC. The battery compartment is pretty tight in the side dinnette but seems like the Sun Saver MPTT is pretty compact and should work.

photohc said:
Installing the controller close to the battery would be a better choice. This reduces the distance from the battery and thus your losses due to the length of the run. Depending on the controller, most of the time you only get indicator lights and having the controller in a visible location may not yield any benefit.
Before switching to Lithium, I had a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller and it work well for me.

Harv
Hi Harv, is the temperature sensor helpful?

super doody said:
I have a 2015 Hawk with side dinette and I'm looking to install solar. I've decided on the panel (160 watt rigid), have the plugs ready to go and Yakima tracks but can't decide on 1. the location to place the controller 2. the type of MPPT controller (like the possible to go a 24 volt system).

In terms of location I have two choices: a. the factory location which is above the thermostat or b. by the battery as installed by Ski in Ted's camper:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8494-the-teds-have-a-new-hawk/?p=98273

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim I have a Renolgy "Wanderer" 30a PWM solar controller.
It is negative ground and can be used for both 12/24v systems up to 400w.
I mounted it in the front seat on the side dinette where the battery is. Works great there and don't have to run long wire leads.
Make sure that when you order a solar controller you get a negative ground one.
Sometimes you have to read to product specs to find that.
Some controllers are positive ground.
Frank

super doody said:
Hi Harv, is the temperature sensor helpful?
I haven't had any issues with battery temperature. Since most of our installations involve the battery being inside, the temperature variations have little effect on the battery charging.

Back
Top Bottom