side drawer space utilization

Rusty

I recently completed this side drawer installation. It holds a folding smoker, 2 chairs, shade cloth, asst bungees, ropes, 2 extension cords, hatchet, step support blocks, awning stakes, table cloth and clips....I'll transfer a couple shots and post them a little later....we just returned from a 12 day to BC....drawer performed well and all contents stayed where they were supposed to...not always the case inside the camper

camperadditions81720100.jpg

note the second track inside the drawer

camperadditions84201000.jpg

inside hanger rolled out prior to front being applied to drawer

Hi Rusty: I have an ATC on a Tacoma. Not too much for anything. I did go out and look at my truck though. It does give others ideas as you did such a good job.

Darryl

So when do you start taking orders from us? Cost? Weight? Ease of installation?

Looks great.

That is by far the best utilization of that space that I have seen. Great work!

I agree. I have a FWC Hawk on a Tundra which leaves a five inch gap between the top of the bed rail and the camper. This is giving me ideas for utilizing that space. Thanks Rusty.

the space considered is the drivers side anchor locking mechanism stand at the rear of the bed....the top rail to the camper will usually give you too much dimension (as if that's possible with alaskans)

The drawer had to be built from the top to the bottom by installing the track hardware first including the wheels and then using the remaining dimension for the drawer.(it helps to have been a cabinet maker in a previous existance)

The interior hardware is installed prior to drawer assembly...including slide/support/wheels and stops

both the drawer and the interior guides have rubber stops installed so there isn't any chance of ever coming completely out of the track or sliding too far forward.....the drawer slides far enough to open just clear of the rear jack (Rieco-Titans)

The draw catch at the bottom rear of the drawer is 304 polished stainless and the handle is chromed brass with interior flush threads....the screws are not coming out...all screws installed with lock-tite red

both the opening of the drawer and the door are rimmed with oak for the hardware/screws to set in and to avoid any plywood exposed edges

The smoker is a smoke and fold and has everything included to smoke.....salmon... :rolleyes: the chairs are steel tubing from GCI and slide/collapse down to a very thin 2.25 inches and nest together

All in all it took a long time to engineer it and come up with all the appropriate parts to fit....but the previous drawer which came with the camper originally was open on top, left all the gear dusty and dirty and wasn't secured well. After dealing with it for a very long time....the incentive was there for the improvement.

Each installation will be different with each bed type but the width needs to be at least 6.5 inches to accommodate the gear I've installed....the smoker may not be necessary for all :D ...I considered it one of the driving forces for the build. The first time out and the faces of the adjacent campers when I brought warm, smoked salmon over was worth the time spent building it.

with all the hardware,plywood/glue/paint/furniture pad...not including misc spare parts around the shop....around $300.00 in materials and about a week in spare hours here and there

Check out the chairs...I'm 6'2" and 240# and they're comfy

http://www.integrityoutdoorbrands.com/directors-chairs/xpress-lounger.htm

if you fish or smoke fish

http://www.cameronscookware.com/Smoke%20%27n%20Fold%20Stainless%20Steel.aspx

I don't have anything to do with these companies...other than use their products

Back
Top Bottom