Side mount a fly-rod case on a Four Wheel Camper?

KirkNichols

Has anyone mounted a 10' fly rod carrier sideways on a Four Wheel camper? Roof mounting is out of reach once popped up.

Made my own with plastic tool box, 2 - 10' sections of 1-1/2" pvc pipe, and soft pipe wrap inside. Fabricated aluminum angle and flat stock to drivers side jack brackets. PXL_20201103_233819340.jpegIMG_20200927_165601.jpeg

Thanks, I think the side jack brackets will be part of the solution. Good to see that you found the space.

I used longhorn's idea, but mounted the plastic ammo box vertically. I also cut the PVC tubes in half and screwed them back together with PVC connectors to allow disassembly and easy storage in the winter. It works great, more labor than dollars, but pretty easy to do if you take your time.

flyrod carrier.jpg

Larryqp, thanks, I see that you turned the angle iron out for three sides of a square. That will be key to what I am trying to do!

Yep,

I used 80/20 extruded aluminum to create brackets running between the jack mounts. Ive had my rod vault, ski racks, even a bike mount on there. Works great.

PDXPTW said:
Yep,

I used 80/20 extruded aluminum to create brackets running between the jack mounts. Ive had my rod vault, ski racks, even a bike mount on there. Works great.
Bike mount? I want to see that!

Actually, I used square aluminum tubing to attach the rod holder to the jack buckets, not angle iron. I wanted to make sure it was very strong for off road travel, might be over kill, but the rods cost much more than the 1" tubing.

larryqp, Thanks for the square tubing solution. Yes, rods are bit more; some more than others.

Larryqp - can we see close-up of how you mounted the case to the camper. It looks like you attached brackets to the camper? Looks great.

The rod holder is demounted and in my shed. I'll drag it out later, take some more pics and post some detailed photos. My holder has two 5 foot lengths of PVC pipe. As far the switch rod goes, I don't see any reason you couldn't make it with two 6 foot lengths of PVC, you would have waste but 10 ft lengths of PVC is not that expensive.

Ghetto Johnny said:
looking for ideas for my Switch Rod Fly Rod(11'6")
Because of the position of the reel seat, you’re going to need a longer box at the butt end, but some Schedule 40 PVC will do the job. Have a good rod sock to protect the guides.

Looking forward to seeing more pics, larryqp! Really need this set-up as last year I tried an easy solution with the rod in the back seat and the tip out the front window for a short drive. It worked fine until rising fish distracted me and I closed the rod tip in the window! I always bring an extra rod for mishaps, but was the first time I used it.
tc46zVFl.jpg

" />

KirkNichols said:
larryqp, Thanks for the square tubing solution. Yes, rods are bit more; some more than others.
If you are just interested in carrying a made up rod from one
fishing place to another see if what I made will work for you.
It's in the thread that longhorn posted.
It's a photo of my Bobcat with the holder on the drivers side.
Frank

IMG_4560.JPG

This is on it's side and would be vertical when mounted

Photos aren't great, so I'll add some narrative. I cut a piece of aluminum plate to fit inside the plastic ammo box to add strength then thru bolted the box to the 1" aluminum square tubes. The funky wooded pieces are temporary fillers so I could tighten the PVC connectors onto the PVC threaded piece coming thru the box. Just haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. The were needed so I could get the PVC connector nice and tight

IMG_4559.JPG

The aluminum tubing is then thru bolted onto the FWC jack brackets. These are the bolts which would go thru the aluminum tubing

IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

I decided not to use threaded connectors to connect the two 5ft section of PVC to ease dismantling. I just drilled a couple of pilot holes and screws sheet metal screws to secure the push on PVC connectors.

IMG_4558.JPG

I used it all summer in Colorado driving on some pretty nasty roads. It held up well no signs of wear or discoloration on the rod or reel.

The tubes are lined with foam pipe insulation and I placed a wooden shelve in the box so that the reels lie flat on the shelf. This does serves two purposes. The reels aren't swinging back and forth plus I can carry both my 5 wt and 8wt rods and reels and reels fully assembled. I did need to notch the foam a little at the box end to allow for the larger line guide need the reel end of the rod.

There is a padlock on the box but I wouldn't leave my rods in the holder overnight in a motel, but for a quick run in to a store, bar for a beer or camping I feel safe. also I like the fact that even when I'm camped next to the river, the holder is a safe place to store the rod in camp and not step on it or slam a door on it.

The pics HELP a lot.... THANKS! Now I have a project after I can locate the parts :) If or when you ever come to Texas I will owe you an adult beverage ;) Would love to see it up close and personal.

Back
Top Bottom