Side mount for kayak ideas?

IDPaddler

My new Hawk shell was delivered a couple weeks ago and I'm really excited. What I really need is to figure out a way to mount a whitewater kayak to the side. I have a standard yak rack on top but having a quicker side mount option would be really nice. Anyone out there have ideas for bolting something to the jack brackets that would allow a kayak to be mounted? Any DYI projects that have worked well?
Thanks

Welcome to the cult and congrats on the new Hawk. Haven't seen many side mounts although
using the jack brackets sounds like a doable thing.

I carried a 12' canoe for several years on top it worked well,as the canoe was just about #55 and fit on the
factory rack with my mods.

The top lifted without any issues.I have a ATC Bobcat with #40 roof lifters.

Hope someone has an idea to share.
Frank

Just in case you're not familiar with 80/20: https://8020.net/
I call it the "Engineer's Erector Set" because we use it a LOT at work to build both permanent and temporary manufacturing tools.

I dunno. My Cougar is already pretty wide and I would not want anything mounted to the sides especially with some of the boondocking I do. Maybe a surfboard, or some recovery gear, stuff like that. I put things on top or inside.

I will state the obvious..no free lunch...on top or sides loads limit the clearances...with our Hawk we have had inches of clearance to the sides and in height...if your use makes clearance issues non-critical then go for it.. also, again just me, but weight up high makes it tough to raise top [assuming solar panels this is a big deal; otherwise you tread into the mechanical assist devises that require room to store] and adds to instability by raising CG..

How you use the FWC and where is the determinant. But hey, neat thing is that it is YOUR FWC and you can do anything you want.

Room for storage, dimensions and weight are all in the mix.

Thanks folks. I was able to take a look at my friends system and it’s built out of the 80/20 material. Though I’m not totally sold on his design. I like the rail system Salt Made offers. I think I’ll order the brackets from Salt Made (thx for the link) and rails from 80/20 themselves. Much less expensive. I’ll then Need to come up with some sort of short post system (maybe 10”) that will fasten to the 80/20 perpendicularly. Basically two short posts spaced ~5ft apart, attached to the 80/20 that will be used to rest the kayak on while using cam straps to strap to the rails.

Can also source 80/20 compatible parts from mcmaster.com They can be faster delivery than 80/20, but at a price. I find their page easier to navigate than 80/20's when I don't really know what it is that I'm looking for, I just know what I need it to do.

I saw a post from Salt Made that said they had decided to quit business. You may be able to get a discount on remaining inventory. Neat gear.

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaa.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 84
Mount them at the right spacing on front to rear stringers of p/n 1020 (or similar) that are bolted to Salt Made brackets (or similar).

Back
Top Bottom