Side Mounting a Titan Rod Vault

Mo_

Does anyone have any ideas for mounting brackets on the window side of a Four Wheel Camper Finch to allow mounting of a Titan Rod Vault on the side?

If I add a rack on top and put a rod vault, I'm not sure it would be accessible when the camper is popped. Looking for other ideas for mounting it.

I have a rod vault on the roof rack of my Eagle and you are right that the rods aren't easily accessible when the top is up. I only put my rods in there when I'm moving from place to place so that hasn't been an issue for me (as long as I remember to take them out before I set up ;) ). My top is pretty easy to raise and lower so I'd just lower and reraise the top if I wanted to store them overnight. Putting the vault on the side might interfere with opening the truck doors, too.

I've been trying to figure this one out myself - I have one of the old single rod vaults that I'd like to mount outside. Part of the issue is (if I recall) the Rod Vaults will handle a 10' rod which makes for a pretty long body. I have a rod hanger on the inside up on the ceiling that is an OK solution but not optimal.

My solution is that I just bought a couple of nice Fenwick travel rods with cases. Most of my rods are one piece and too long for inside the camper. They'll stay with the bass boat and I now have rods that pack easy.

This is my solution to carry my up 10' fly rod when moving from place to place.
It's attached to the factory rack in the rear and 2 places along the length of the tube.
Works nice keeps the rod safe and I don't have to take it apart every time I change fishing places.

It's made from 1 1/2" PVC with the open piece having a cut out for the reel that locks it in place.
Frank

DSCN0184.jpg

I don't know how long your rods are, but my solution for carrying long things like awning poles was to mount a 4" PVC pipe cross-ways under the part of my Fleet that extends over the truck cab. It's right in front of the front wall of the camper body and just below the overhand. Plenty of room there with the camper on the Tacoma. (Sorry I don't have a picture.) There are two kinds of PVC pipe and I used the the thinner-walled variety (the underground drainage type) to save weight. Each end has a female thread adaptor glued on and a plug threaded in. The pipe is white. It runs the full width of the camper, so the inside length is about 72". Would that be long enough for your rods?

- Bernard

Any pics of the Rod Vault mounted to the camper jack plates?

Thanks for the ideas.

For pvc, is there any recommendation on how to mount those?

I'm thinking 9-10' for fly rod setup with reel attached.

For my telescoping base station antenna mast (~7' compressed) I hung a section of ABS pipe under the camper's RS bed-rail over-hang. See the black pipe in the pic below. Glued a cap on the front and a clean-out threaded bung at the rear. I keep the screw-in cap well lubricated so it doesn't seize. With the ClubCab I could have easily gone up to 2.5' longer had I needed to as it is a bit "in the wind" and clears all of the truck body.

How I hung it was to screw two SS footman loops to the underside of the over-hang at each end. I spaced each pair about 1.25" apart and ran a hose clamp thru them and around the pipe. I need to add a third pair of loops and a hose clamp to the middle.
i-cZjdHXS-L.jpg

Rod vaults are now a direct sales item. The Product is owned by and sold through Denver Outfitters. It you look for them on facebook,or their website, it seems that they regularly have a $199.00 "sale". I used to be a dealer.

They are a good product, and if you fly fish regularly, they make sense. They can prevent broken rods, and with the shipping and handling fees at $40-$75.00, its possible to justify a rod vault purchase!

Being a former dealer, do you know if there is any downside to the side mounting we're talking about? If I can figure out how to mount it on the jack brackets I'm in.

Good point Stalking Light. If the bracket was designed to extend up then it could run at the same level as the cabover. That might work but could limit access to the roof latches.

bfh4n said:
I don't know how long your rods are, but my solution for carrying long things like awning poles was to mount a 4" PVC pipe cross-ways under the part of my Fleet that extends over the truck cab. It's right in front of the front wall of the camper body and just below the overhand. Plenty of room there with the camper on the Tacoma. (Sorry I don't have a picture.) There are two kinds of PVC pipe and I used the the thinner-walled variety (the underground drainage type) to save weight. Each end has a female thread adaptor glued on and a plug threaded in. The pipe is white. It runs the full width of the camper, so the inside length is about 72". Would that be long enough for your rods?

- Bernard
Did you attach to the wall or the underside of the overhang. What kind of brackets did you use and what kind of screws? I want to use 6" pvc but have had concerns about driving screws into the wrong place.
Thanks!!

I may get a chance to see the Jack mounted rod vault today....

As far as mounting on the jacks, the included bracket may just plug and play with the camper jacks. The jacks are not that different from a roof rack. The rod vault brackets clamp around a roof rack bar. The two variables i think are the diameter of the jacks, and the fact that the brackets are designed to be mounted horizontally. The lateral mount may put forces on the bracket that it wasn't designed to take.

Hopefully I get to see it today.

Will your customer share a shot or two of the setup 2trout?

Back
Top Bottom