Sideliner / Canvas Replacement - tips/advice?

PNW Guy

Advanced Member
Hi All, I have a 2000 FWC Hawk. The sideliner has some holes that have been patched over the years, but being the OCD person I am, I'd like to replace the canvas/sideliner. I'm relatively handy and assume I can handle the project if I take it slowly. I plan to order the sideliner from ATC.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to do this? What tools will I need. Is there any gluing involved? I want to do this carefully and ensure it's watertight.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

And, no, I don't want to pay FWC or ATC to do it, unless it's absolutely necessary.

I had to have it done a few years ago on my 2001 Eagle. Took a road trip to ATC and had them do it. The extra cost wasn't that much and then we did a Calif, Oregon, Washington coast trip. We made 'reservations' to have it done and they did it in a day. Great work and fun to watch a part of it being done. They had the old stuff off, the roof off, etc. in no time at all. For me, it wasn't worth the effort to do it myself and there are certainly "tricks" to it. I had the front and back panels done at the same time as it was a minimal extra cost and since they had the roof off it only made sense.

While I'd love to have them do it, I have some kind of impulse disorder when it comes to doing these things on my own. While I'm not interested in a complete renovation, making this repair would give some satisfaction. Btw, the guys at ATC are fantastic.

Does anyone know or can recommend a Velcro or 3M Hook/Loop product to replace the worn Hook material on my 2001 Granby? The loop is ok on the window external weather flaps but the hook material (on the sideliner) is worn beyond cleaning or restoration. I intend to use 4" X 2" wide hook material in three places to "reinforce" the bond. I bought some 4" X 2" "Industrial Strength" Velcro which seems pretty "sticky" when mated to the existing loop but thye hooks don't look nearly as agressive as the original hook material. I intend to use a cyanoacrylate glue to bond the new hook patch to the vinyl unless I can come up with an adhesive backing which will be suitable.
Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Marty

I'll be watching this post.I'm about ready to undertake the same project on my mid 80s Grandby.I called 4FWC yesterday and was told that they could make and install one for me or sell me the vinyl by the yard for about $20 a yd and I'll have to cut an install screens and windows myself and install it.So I found some 18oz VCP on the auction site (for a great price) and ordered quiet a bit and am going to try it myself..

Wvtradbow, I called ATC and they said they would make a canvas for me for $650, and an extra $550 for installation. Apparently FWC no longer sells pre-made sideliners. You might want to consider this option.

Watching this topic with interest as I am replacing the sideliner on my Roamin' Chariot.

A search didn't dredge up much info: Just curious what is the advantage of the FWC/ATC raft like canvas/VCP vs. a Sunbrella type marine canvas for a replacement sideliner?

I think the easy part will be getting it cut, sewed, windows installed, etc. Installation on the other hand.... I'll be curious to see how difficult it is. I think it's doable if you have all the metal/aluminum pieces you'll need along the top, etc. and it may take a while. You could do so many "upgrades" when you have the roof off too.

I haven't taken the trim off the roof yet but I have taken it off the the bottom and it seems funny to me that the liner is only held to the camper by the trim screws.I wasn't going to take the roof all the way off (if I can help it).I only have the front flip up panel on, my back one is shot,thats how I was going to fit it over the roof and I agree theres a lot i should do with the roof but I think I'm going to try this without a complete removal,but we'll see..

If you are that far along, take the roof off. When I had it done, they basically cut the vinyl and unscrewed the panels (I think) and lifted it off. You can replace the headliner at this time too if you want along with insulation, wiring, etc., etc. I applaud you for doing this yourself.

I know you're right on removing the whole roof and I may end up doing that (I should) but what really surprised me is that the only thing holding the liner on is the trim screws with molding,mine had goobs of silicone around the top but the inside head liner is tucked under the roof

img_121366_0_5a4c9bcadac1a2daf4e2cebc12f4ba31.jpg

wvtradbow and others. So, to confirm, do I simply remove the screws on the top trim to remove the sideliner? Then, when installing the sideliner, do you use any glue, or just screw back in the screws? I'm assuming a similar process would be used on the bottom trim. If this is the case, this seems relatively straightforward.

When I do this, I'm also planning on getting the arctic pack Velcro.

Louis My camper is around 85 but I would assume you would do the same.There's nothing but trim pieces that held mine on,no glue,no staples.I really don't know why it didn't leak.The PO did silicone around the top of the the trim,I was thinking when I reassemble mine to maybe put a few stables and putty tape around the top to hold it in place until I put the trim on,cause I'm not sure how to keep it lined up while installing the top trim. Now the ceiling headliner is tucked under the aluminum roof.The roof is actually bent over the edge,I kinda thought thats how the sideliner should have been,but No..

Thanks wvtradbow. I think I will remove trim, staple new sideliner to hold it in place, then reinstall trim with rv silicone. Funny, someone really should create an instruction manual. I might do this in august.

If you remove the staples holding the sheet metal to the roof frame and the few 1/8th inch pop rivets on the round front corners of the roof skin then you can install your new liner under the roof skin so the top of the liner is protected by the roof skin. We put our liners about 1 1/2 inches past the top outside corner of the roof frame. Then put the roof skin back down and staple it with a few staples making sure the screw holes overlap from the roof skin to the roof frame. Put the upper trim back on starting at a rear corner.
Marty

marty said:
If you remove the staples holding the sheet metal to the roof frame and the few 1/8th inch pop rivets on the round front corners of the roof skin then you can install your new liner under the roof skin so the top of the liner is protected by the roof skin. We put our liners about 1 1/2 inches past the top outside corner of the roof frame. Then put the roof skin back down and staple it with a few staples making sure the screw holes overlap from the roof skin to the roof frame. Put the upper trim back on starting at a rear corner.
Marty
No wonder people are so positive about ATC!

Sagebrush,isn't that the truth,I just ordered 3 FWC decals for this built and FWC charged me $7.50 "shipping and handling" now the shipping was $1.50 so the additional $6. Was apparently just to put them in the envelope

Back
Top Bottom