Siding Repair?

Steve

I managed to back into a tree and put a 3/4" hole thru the siding and into the closet on a 1998 Grandby. The hole is on the passenger side about 3" below the top of the camper. Any thoughts on how to repair this? or use the hole location to mount something else?

Hey Steve

feel free to call our service dept. if you want

FWC service dept. = 800-242-1442

they might be able to give you some tips & tricks

if you are looking for a quick / easy fix, I would try and pull the aluminum back as flush to the sides of the camper as possible and then seal it will a marine grade silicone.

Then maybe put a small sticker over it (for looks)

I can send you a new "Four Wheel" sticker if you want to cover it with that ?

A porch light comes to mind for the outside...can you get a wire to it?

On the inside, is there contact paper available that matches? Or a nice cedar lined closet kit?

Backed into a tree? No no no no. Thats not a good story at all. After sealing it up, you leave it there and tell people about the time (insert highly unbelievable story here) happened.

repair

The easiest way to repair it is to patch it with another piece of skin. Of course I am sure ideas will come up that are more creative. A new porch light would work well. It sounds like the location of the hole is really close to where the light wires should be on that side.

Thanks for the Suggestions

The repair with the new piece of skin is the most appealing. I'll call Four Wheel and try to get a piece. I assume the sequence would be repair the inside splintered hole, fill the void with foam from the outside and attach the skin with roof patch mastic after the foam is smoothed. Is that the sequence you'd use?

thx again, steve b

repair

Sounds good to me. I would have just put the patch on, sealed it underneath before I put the patch on and screwed the patch in place. I like your idea a lot better. Sounds like it will look better than my repair.:)

We'll See

Thanks Ben, we'll see how it looks when I'm finished. I love the camper so much I want to keep it lookin' good!

steveb

Stan, I Need a Sticker

As I proceed with the repair, I think I'll take Stan's advice and use a Four Wheel sticker on the outside. Stan, can you send one to me?

Steve Bohnemeyer
6827 NE 149th St
Kenmore, WA 98028

Thx!
steveb

Back
Top Bottom