sissor steps

Hittheroad

Has anyone got experience attaching sissor steps to a fwc camper. I am most interested in an Eagle mounted on a Taco. I have been looking at Torklift Glowsteps but am not sure they would attach well to the camper and if they did they would obscure the license plate when I folded them up. Are there solutions or am I looking at the wrong product?

Hittheroad said:
Has anyone got experience attaching sissor steps to a fwc camper. I am most interested in an Eagle mounted on a Taco. I have been looking at Torklift Glowsteps but am not sure they would attach well to the camper and if they did they would obscure the license plate when I folded them up. Are there solutions or am I looking at the wrong product?
IMO,get a step stool.It has more uses,like getting something from on top,or dealing with storm flaps if you have them.
Frank

A friend of mine who has a full size Dodge Diesel (Like mine) had a welder make a tall "L" that plugs into his 2" hitch receiver. The top of the "L" has a cross bar set to be close to the edge of the camper door threshold to which the scissor steps are bolted.

The steps are easily removed when taking off the camper and when towing something. They also fold up against the baclk of the truck and are latched up with a pin and lock.

It works well and is better than my portable folding 3 step ladder from Home Depot cause his cannot fall over and it stows in place rather than in the camper. Might be overkill for a smaller 2WD truck.

Regards,

Craig

I looked at sissor steps but to mucH $$ and heavy for me. I made a set of receiver steps. they are the first thing out of the camper and the last thing loaded.

post-1903-127759072641_thumb.jpg

Thank you all. A great set of options. Yes, the external moveable step has many other uses. But it can be tippy especially when the user is tipsy or aged. What I really needed to know is that there is no simple way to do it that my declining brain was missing.

I've tried the step stool and the receiver steps and I prefer the receiver steps. They don't wobble and they can't sink into soft forest ground. And I can count on the distance from the camper to the first step. You may need to bring a single-step stool for the last step to the ground, but his is much more stable than a ladder step stoo.

Here are some sample pictures of the aluminum folding steps on the rear of a few Four Wheel Campers.

The accordion steps are nice, but pricey. ($300 or more ??)

The mounting / attachment bracket would need to be attached under the camper door, provided you have clearance for it.

Most customers do NOT leave the aluminum folding steps hanging on the camper during their travels. I suppose you could, but all of the customers that I have met have unhooked that type of step and put it inside the camper before they leave.

The steel 2-step hitch receiver steps are nice for many people, and are available on-line for about $ 75.00 - $ 80.00.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping!

:)

Attachments

• step (sizzor).JPG
    step (sizzor).JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 790
  • Accordion Folding Steps 3.jpg
    Accordion Folding Steps 3.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,289
  • accordion steps.jpg
    accordion steps.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 818
  • Accordion Folding Steps.JPG
    Accordion Folding Steps.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 932
I have attached some pics of the hitch receiver mounted scissor steps I referred to in my earlier post.

Truck is a 1993 Dodge W250 long bed, Camper is a 1985 Keystone (hence the small overhang above the bumper).

Regards,

Craig

Attachments

• Hitch Mounted Steps.jpg
    Hitch Mounted Steps.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 508
  • Hitch Mounted Steps stowed side view.jpg
    Hitch Mounted Steps stowed side view.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 502
  • Hitch Mounted Steps Close-up.jpg
    Hitch Mounted Steps Close-up.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 383
I put the hanger on the back of the camper under the door. I put some steel strap on the floor inside and ran bolts through the strap, floor, and hanger to distribute the load more evenly. I unhook the steps and carry them inside while traveling. They make entry and exit very easy for those of us over 65 as well as easing the entry for the dog when he travels with us. Adventure RV had decent prices on these when I purchased 4 years ago. It might pay to check them out. I usually carry both the step stool and the scissor steps.

Just for the record, count me among the great fans of a quality set of scissor steps. We weren't happy with either the sturdiness or stability of the hitch-mount options we tried, but wound up getting happy with a 24" wide Brophy 3-stepper high-end set of scissors (~ $200 new, online). For lifting purposes, they weigh 18.5 lbs. plus a few lbs. for the fixed-mount bracket that the steps' top rail drops into when the steps are mounted for use. My setup is a personal custom-ghetto app to allow me to utilize a 3-stepper instead of what might normally require a 4-stepper by Brophy's typical specs. Mounting possibilities are endless, there are several ways you can go if you use your imagination.

My Eagle shell is mounted on a '13 Tacoma 4WD. When not camping I just use the "Rubbermade" 2-step stool as the top is down most of the time and I just crawl in and out of it. pic 2.

When camping we insert the rear step, pic 1. Welder made it for $87.00. If I carry my bike I add the bike rack to the receiver in the end of the step. Works great for us.

I don't like small step ladders because they are "tippy" and I don't have a storage issue as we don't use the "roll-over couch".

Attachments

• Rear step -28%.jpg
    Rear step -28%.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Rear step 2-28%.jpg
    Rear step 2-28%.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 100_3081.jpg
    100_3081.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 273
Hittheroad said:

I have the Torklift steps. We love them. They are expensive, but very convenient to use. We DO leave them on all the time. I use a motorcycle tie down to keep them snug up against the bumper. I also use a folded up door mat between it and the bumper to keep it from marring the bumper. It is held very tight and no issues at all even over some of the roughest of roads. I put the license plate in the campers rear window with velcro. And I use a locking pin on one side to prevent theft. They are very sturdy and the dog loves them too.
med_gallery_3184_707_23891.jpg
med_gallery_3184_707_107777.jpg

med_gallery_3184_707_65574.jpg

sml_gallery_3184_707_116815.jpg
med_gallery_3184_707_13063.jpg

I am also a fan of the scissor steps. I found mine in excellent condition used for $75. I currently use them on my Alaskan but will be keeping them for my FWC when I purchase it soon. Check craigslist if you are interested. They are on there quite a bit from between $50-200.

Just as a guideline I need scissor steps with 4 steps for my Ram 2500 with 295/70/17 tires and a leveling kit. Anything taller will need a 5 step.

I did not like my scissor steps and I couldn't give them away, so they ended up in the dumpster. The ground has to be fairly level and pretty hard or the angle gets awkward. Seems like I never found those type of campsites. I made a receiver unit like Pilot Jim's except with 2 steps.

CWD

I have the receiver steps but it seems like I'm always forgetting them and wind up just using the ball to stand on. I know one day I'm going to slip right off and do serious damage to myself but I'm young and only learn the hard way :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom