ski storage ?

mntlion

Advanced Member
have a 2006, 4wd, 4 dr, short box tacoma, and a finch. This leaves me about 5" "back deck" with the tail gate down.

So the goal is a 2 month long skiing road trip, living in camper some of the time, and in warmer places some of the time.
4 pairs of skis, between 2 people.

problem: Skis are all long 180-195cm, and with the short bed they fit in the bed, at an angle, just barly. no way they will fit inside the camper, plus I dont want the melting snow mess.

I Dont want the skis inside the truck for the same reason. No room, and mess.

Dont want the skis on the roof of the camper, as it make the roof much harder to lift, skis are exposed to road grime, visible to others, and hard to take on/off due to the height

My idea is a ski box, vertically mounted on the back of the camper? ANyone done this? only have it on the passanger side, as the furnace vents on the other side..

any other briliant ideas for locked, sheltered, long ski storage?

if you're willing to accept a higher center of gravity, build a raised platform for the camper to sit on and slide the skis underneath. You could have a locking door on the end for security. see the third mod , below mine, in the link below.
I wasn't willing to do that, so I mounted load bars across my outside rear wall and attach either ski racks or fork mount bike trays. Works great for my 170cm. I slip a kitchen garbage bag over the bindings to keep them clean. Check it out here, second one down:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/2012-top-mod-contest-part-4

Adding the cargo box may create a lot of cantilevered weight or wind resistance. You may be able to overcome that with a good mounting.

I met a non-WTW FWC owner who is a big skier recently. His system is a rocket box and a 4' step ladder he stores on the roof.
Otherwise, I use ski racks mounted to the Yakima track/rack system, but then the gear is exposed to the elements.

The Finch is 69" wide and my Grandy is 80". My truck is wider if I take the width edge to edge of the tow mirrors. Why not utilize that difference, half on each side, and the corner jack brackets assuming you have them. The storage boxes could be on each side for two pairs of skis. They would be mounted below the roof latches and held in place with mounting attach points that attach to the jack brackets.

I keep trying to think of ways to use my jack brackets since they're nice solid mount points.

I have a telescoping pole that I use for an antenna mast at remote pits. Collapsed it is 8' long and we have an 8' bed, but a 6.5' camper with a full tailgate width rear panel that is centered in the bed. Putting the pole thru the side doors wasn't a good option since then I couldn't close the doors. My solution is a piece of ABS pipe with a cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other. This is suspended under the side over-hang of the camper on the pass side. So under the camper and above and outboard of the bedside.

I doubt that the ABS is a solution for you, but the location may work. Just need to figure out a suitable enclosure to mount there.

How about a ski bag instead of a box. Much lighter and more compact. You could probably even lock it with a cable. Could go on the roof or vertically on the back. Roof would be more out of sight from others.

thanks for all the good ideas guys, have to see what next winter holds for me

Back
Top Bottom