Sliding Window A/C Installation

Mark W. Ingalls

Contributors
All--

In case anyone wants a reversible, simple, reliable way to hang a window air conditioner off their camper, I decided to upload these photos...

AC_rear.JPG

AC_front.JPG

AC_inside.JPG

Works like a champ. To remove for travel, just open the window some more and tip the unit inside. Then it stows on the floor, where it can't fall.

Very nice. I'll remember that if ever wind up spending enough time in hot climes to justify ac.

WOW!, that's really nice.

Thanks, Sam, et al.

Does it keep the camper cool with the top up?

I chose a 5000 BTU A/C, reasoning that it will keep the camper as cool as a 5000 BTU heater will on a cold day up North.

Those "Arctic Packs" that come in handy for heat retention up North would serve us just as well as "Tropic Packs" when trying to keep heat out.

That said, we were able to cool the space from ambient to 75 degrees in shaded 90 degree heat the other day. This would be analogous to heating the space in 50 degree temps-- a 20 degree differential.

Solar gain, which helps the heating side of the equation, seriously hurts cooling. We have always created artificial Summer shade by surrounding the entire camper with reflective tarps.

We'll make sure and report back as problems arise.

ac questin

Mark, Do you use ac because of high temps or because of high humidity?.I always wonder ,seems like unless you stay in reg camp grounds with hook ups you wont be able to use with out gen.One of the main benifits of fwc in my opinion is the fact that soon as the sun goes down the camper with all the screen area in top keeps the interior tolerable.But then again we live in so calif where the weather is always perfect!!
But looks like a great install!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey'
Les Lqhikers

Yes, Les, it's the humidity, not the heat in the Gulf Coast region (and also the Northeast to a lesser extent).

We are getting an inverter generator (a quiet one) to power the AC (plus some other equipment I'll be posting soon).

P.S.: When we went from LA to Yosemite and then through the Grand Canyon to South Padre Island last year in July we slept fine out west even as the daytime temp. crossed 100 degrees at the GC, but right on the beach at SPI we were a little sticky.

Dear Jay--

We considered Honda, Yamaha, Kipor and McCulloch. We do not require CARB compliance.

We decided on the McCulloch because it has satisfactory reviews at Amazon and Electric Generators Direct. At the time of purchase, the price was better at Amazon.

The Honda & Yamaha generators consume less fuel, are lighter and quieter at about twice the price.

Nice work Marc- thats a plush outfit. When do you put in the jacuzzi? ;)

This would work for either FWC or atc? Ordering a finch and this would be a deal breaker for the wifey if I can't some kind if ac in there for summer

This would work for either FWC or atc? Ordering a finch and this would be a deal breaker for the wifey if I can't some kind if ac in there for summer

Another fellow put one in his ATC. It only depends on the size of the window opening.

Thanks. Wonder if it would work on a finch. I do not own one but have been saving and looking to pull the trigger this spring.

Back
Top Bottom