SLO's 1990 Hawk Build/Refurb

Bam, Great day. So during clean up I had a few brews.... :beer: So for a warning to all of you... Brews and amazon are a bad combo! Got some things on the way for next week…..

^ So true

Thanks for the comments guys. Its really coming together!!

Well got another day in on the camper. LOTS of progress. The long haul is over and its little stuff from hear on out. Mainly re-sealing the roof and general maintenance stuff. No more HUGE project! :cool:

Got the bench seat all framed up.
P7140053.jpg

Modified the corner at the door. I didnt like the dead space FWC originally had in that corner.
P7140052.jpg

Added an extra storage area in the front of the camper. Going to hold 2 batteries.
P7140049.jpg

Lid on. I went with a grey blue carpet. Hoping to kinda match the blinds and get another color in the camper besides white and lots of brown.
P7140056.jpg

Lid off and battery under.
P7140055.jpg

P7140057.jpg

P7140058.jpg

P7140059.jpg

most everything is back in! YEEHAA! :LOL:
P7140061.jpg

P7140062.jpg

Just gotta get the fridge back in there. Does anyone know of a good internet site to order fridge parts off of? I have a Dometic RM-2193. Just need 2 parts. Burner and T-Pipe to replace the old rusty ones.
Cheers,
Paul

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerators/dometic-refrigerator-parts.htm

Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

Amazon got me again! Dang. I ordered a battery isolator setup following evldave's (on expedition portal) How to make a Cheap Bettery Isolator setup for $50. Unfortunately mine came out to about $80 shipped, but that is still a pretty good price. Went with 4 guage wire and the Cole-Hersee solenoid. Install details to come! I plan on adding a 2nd battery and solor panel at some point, but that will be down the road.

On another note, FWC finalized my replacement lift panel order. I got one of the last wood ones as the new composite ones are PRICEY! Should ship out tomorrow! :) I figured the original lasted 22 years so a new one is fine. Plus the rear is in perfect shape. Terry and Stan threw in some scrap brown canvas for me to use for patches and some new stickers to dress up the old hawk. GREAT GUYS! Cheers! :D

This has been covered in other threads, but FWC recommends HH-66 Vinyl Cement to patch the canvas. Got some from the tribes of Amazon too. :oops:

P7140055.jpg

If that is a wet cell battery in there, you will need to vent that to the outside. You don't want any gases building up in your compartment.

P7140055.jpg

If that is a wet cell battery in there, you will need to vent that to the outside. You don't want any gases building up in your compartment.

Jason,
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have a small vent on order. I ended up widening the access hole in that corner to I wouldn't have to move the batteries every time I take the camper on and off. Once the vent comes Ill frame it in.

UPDATE.........

Sadly, my weekends of time are coming to an end. Trip date coming up soon and my truck needs a bit of maintenance before the depart. Wish I wanst working 12 hour days so I could tinker on the camper!!!! Course that is what pays for my "tinkering". haha

Old vent OFFFFF!!!
P7210059.jpg

Welcome Fantastic Fan! What an upgrade!
P7210060.jpg

Looks good inside! Love the speeds and ability to reverse the air flow!
P7210061.jpg

Also ordered all new exterior water line stuff as well as sink drain and line. Stuff is fairly cheap and turned out great!
P7210062.jpg

This one is kinda cool and sad. The Hawk was ready for gear. So I stopped by where I have the skamper stored for now and cleaned the ole girl out. Got lots of reorganizing to do. Man Im going to miss my storage boxes and under camper drawer, but it will help me consolidate my stuff some. As soon as I get some time to organize Ill send some picts.
P7210064.jpg

My battery isolator setup came in today! Sweet! That will get installed this weekend for sure. I also have a box of electrical parts sitting in the garage. Unfortunately wont get time to install pre-hwy 395 trip, but defiantly will before Utah this fall! :D

Quick question: Was your hawk pre-wired for the fan or did you have to run wires over to it? My grandby is two years older than yours and I hoping to know what I was up against before I start tearing into my roof. Thanks

Quick question: Was your hawk pre-wired for the fan or did you have to run wires over to it? My grandby is two years older than yours and I hoping to know what I was up against before I start tearing into my roof. Thanks

Yes, it was pre-wired. Do you have a skylight or opening already for the fan? My thought would be they pre-wire all the campers but leave the fan as an extra/optional item. Not sure with the older ones though. Maybe some of the other guys could help answer this one as well....

Do you have enough "hands" to install it?

If you need an extra hand, just let me know via a PM.

I'm home this week (except on Thursday, I think) and this weekend.

HAHA We'll my two probably are not enough so Im taking you up on that offer! THANKS! :D
Pm Sent

Well I had a deadline at work get postponed so what in the heck did I do?! Run home to work on the camper! Trip is COMING UP! YIKES! :oops:

Got the fridge back in today. It worked great on 120V which means 12V is fine, so after my service, Im hoping propane works or I will SERIOUSLY debate an engle. This is my second dometic RM2193 and was not impressed by the first one. Too bad these things are SO pricey!

Insulated and ready for the fridge....
P7310065.jpg

Had to stop to admire my hard work over the past few weeks. It is SURE a different camper! :) Yup, I did completely take all the trim off the fridge, prep, and paint. Also added a new front panel. Hey, if you are going to do it........ :D

P7310068.jpg

P7310070.jpg

Now for the biggest problem of them all. The front lift panel. I didnt notice until tonight that the hinge is riveted to the roof. OH I HATE RIVETS :mad:

P7310071.jpg

P7310072.jpg

I am going to screw the new panel to the roof unless anyone can tell me I am wrong and it really needs to be riveted. Input guys?

Next, after emailing back and forth with Alley-Kat I wanted to make sure I wasnt digging myself a hole. From reading another thread on here I decided to tension the hinges for install.

P7310073.jpg

I first just tried rebar tie wire and twisting. I quickly realized that will not work unless I have someone helping me. OK.... Next Idea.....

I made loops with the tie wire about every 3rd hole. Then dug around the garage and truck for ratcheting tie-downs. Yup, worked like a charm! This is a great way to take care of this if you are by yourself.
P7310075.jpg

P7310078.jpg

Now I am ready for the install. Oh boy!!!

Your strap idea is good. This should work to rivet the top very well. If you do not mind I think I will try your ratchet strap and wire idea on the next one I replace. I would not screw the top becouse the screw heads will probably dig into the panel when you lower the top. After you attach the top and get the center bungie hooked up an ice pick should work fine to hold the bottom hinge in place to screw it down. Have fun. Marty

Your strap idea is good. This should work to rivet the top very well. If you do not mind I think I will try your ratchet strap and wire idea on the next one I replace. I would not screw the top becouse the screw heads will probably dig into the panel when you lower the top. After you attach the top and get the center bungie hooked up an ice pick should work fine to hold the bottom hinge in place to screw it down. Have fun. Marty

Thanks Marty! Absolutely try it. Let me know how it goes. Bummer on screwing to the top. Its just easier, but I can understand the tight spacing. Rivet's it is!
Alright so Here is my plan
1) Support roof very well so it does not move.
2) Rivet Top (Say 1/2 of them)
3) Connect Bungees to Canvas
4) Screw in Bottom
5) Finish Rivet's up Top
6) Drink Cold one and admire hard work.

Question. Do you use Multiple Ice Picks to hold the lower hinge down? Or just bend it one screw at a time.

Thanks for the Advice Marty! Alley-Kat gererously offed to help me out so Saturday morning this phase of the project begins! :D

Allen, Thanks for stopping by to take a look at the front lift panel project. I really appreciate you offering a hand as well as your wisdom on the subject. After hearing about your custom setup I cant wait to see it. You are 10x the captenter fixer guy I am! :)

I snuck in about an hour tonight to keep prepping the camper for the first trip. I have a propane fire pit, which is GREAT, and needed to tap into the line in order to run it. I took my valve and fitting on the old camper and dug around my parts/ random stuff drawer and amazingly enough found what I needed!

In this pict, extra gas line & fitting, my line and valve from the old camper, and regulator line from the FWC.
2012-08-02_20-31-50_524.jpg

PS, Table saw makes a great bench!

Next picture is everything installed and mounted in the propane door.
2012-08-02_20-49-54_545.jpg

I then have a 20ft extension line for the pit and simply hook it up to the valve when in use. This is great for 2 reasons... If you turn the valve down on the pit it hissses and ruins the makeshift campfire. This it allows me to regulate the pressure at the camper away from the fire. 2nd, I am able to position the fire on the drivers side, passenger, or back.

This is a GREAT thing to add to your setup. Also is nice when you are somewhere with no open fires allowed because this is technically allowed and not an open fire. Also you dont have to carry wood!

Picture of my setup on the old camper.
P5210444.jpg

The hood on the fire pit is from a little BBQ. Suspend it above the fire to help distribute the heat. Makes a HUGE difference.

One ice pick will be good. Put about seven screws in(about every sixth hole) then lower the top to make sure it is centered. I know your helper. I would work with him.

I dunno, not sure I trust many people with an ice pick in close proximity to me. Maybe I really need a new dog.

Back
Top Bottom