Small camper, big(ger) truck

bento

Tl;DR Can we use a FWC Fleet in a half ton pickup?

We've had a FWC Fleet Shell in my 09' Ford Ranger for a few years and have been really happy with it. We're thinking about taking some time off work and living on the road for six months or a year and are contemplating a bigger setup though. We're thinking of moving to a Lance camper trailer because we'll need a four season setup and more space. The Ranger isn't great for towing, especially with the manual transmission, so we figure we'll need a bigger truck when we're ready to take the plunge and go full time on the road. We're thinking of buying a bigger truck now and then finding a trailer next year when we're closer to heading out.

So, in the meantime, we'd like to sell the Ranger and keep using the FWC in a bigger truck. In a stock F150 or a Tundra, it seems like the weight of the Fleet wouldn't be an issue, but I'm wondering about the camper fitting over the cab and the walls of the bed. I'm struggling to find measurements on the height of the cab relative to the bed on these bigger trucks. Does anyone know how much of an issue this will be? Would it be possible to put some kind of shim under the camper to raise it up enough to fit over the cab/bed walls? I'm envisioning building something with 2x4s or maybe welding a little aluminum frame to sit under the camper. Would raising the weight up higher be a safety concern when driving?

Finally, if we're going to be selling the FWC eventually, would it be better to just sell it together with the truck? I've already got I-bolts in the bed of the truck and wiring to the battery as well as heavier duty leaf springs and shocks. It seems like I could possibly get more money selling the Ranger and FWC together, but that would mean buying an expensive truck and expensive camper trailer at the same time as well.

Any thoughts on our dilemma would be appreciated. Thanks for your input :)

Bento....sounds like you're considering a Ford or Toyota, but if a Chevy is on your possibility list I can measure the height of my truck cab from the bed. I have a 2500 HD. That particular measurement, I believe, is the same for 3/4 and 1/2 ton Chevys.

JMO, but I think you're better off selling the truck now, or when you're ready, and then selling the camper later. Someone always wants a good used FWC, but they don't always want a used truck. Yes, some people do sell the total package, but most of the buyers I've come across already have a truck, or have one in mind. I'm sure others here will differ on that rec, but that's the way I see it.

Thanks for the reply radarcontact. I'm definitely not opposed to a Chevy pickup and would be interested in the measurements from yours. My family (also from Wyoming ) has just had a history of always winding up with Fords, so that's where my mind jumps to when considering a new truck...

It's 44" from the bed to the roof of my cab. For reference, it's 48" to the bottom of my camper cabover, so there's about a 4" gap between the roof of my cab and the bottom of the cabover.

I can't give you any advice regarding the rigging of the Fleet in a 1/2 ton bed but I'm sure someone on here has done something similar.

Good luck in your decision making.

If you are planning on eventually getting a lance camper, why not go ahead and get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that will accommodate that camper and still be usable for the fleet??

Beach said:
If you are planning on eventually getting a lance camper, why not go ahead and get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that will accommodate that camper and still be usable for the fleet??
I think that's what he's considering, but he's not sure what kind of retrofitting he has to do to get the Fleet to fit properly in the bigger truck bed.

Bento, google the year and make of any truck along with the phrase "body builder guide' and you'll find each model's 'Upfitter Guide' that will have ever conceivable measurement you could want. (This is what I did in planning the flatbed build for my Ram Chassis Cab last year.

Durango1's advice is good. You can find all of the dimensions for each truck you're researching online.

You'll probably have to build a platform underneath the camper.

Definitely check out the Chevy/GMC 3/4 or 1 ton if you're planning on buying a hard-sided camper in the future.

Yeah. It's looking like we'll need to build a platform. The cabover height on the Fleet is about 42". The cabs on all the trucks I'm looking at are higher than that. Thanks for the input/advice folks!

Back
Top Bottom