Small camper (fleet-swift) in a full size truck?

303Dizzy

Ok, I bought a fleet for my Tacoma but the Tacoma struggles in the mountains with that extra weight. I dont need a bigger camper but I would like to get a full size truck. I think the smaller camper would also look good without it extending too far over the sides. I've found a thread on here about it but it went dead in 2009. Has anyone done this or has pictures of the setup? Also, how did you extend the jacks to fit a wider truck? I know the camper will have to be raised to get the overhead to fit over the cab. I think a nice truck box with additional storage would be sweet (chairs, firewood, water).

I have a 2013 4.0L V6 Tacoma Access Cab and have never had problems in the mountains (even very steep trails) lugging my Fleet. If you have the 4 cylinder, consider the V6. If you have the V6, then something is seriously wrong with your engine or drive train - try fixing that before buying a bigger truck.

Tacoma has no problem at all off roading in mountains. It works really hard on the interstate climbing the passes here in Colorado.

303Dizzy said:
Tacoma has no problem at all off roading in mountains. It works really hard on the interstate climbing the passes here in Colorado.
Yeah, I do let the truck slow climbing those passes rather than downshifting requiring high RPMs - more time to enjoy the scenery. Though, I guess it just depends upon how much of a hurry you are in and how much money you have to spend on a bigger truck.

Aluminum extension plates are cheap and easy to fabricate. Buy the proper size on Ebay and just drill the holes. I purchased 1/4" thick plate. Ron

I had a FWC Ranger (LB Eagle) on a Gen1 Tundra and it fit great. I added aluminum plates for the jacks clearance.

It was a little too narrow to fit on the new Tundra. Check the width of the camper and if it at least as wide as the outside of the truck top rail, you should be good.

20161105_132113_001-M.jpg

DSC_0177-M.jpg

Bosque Bill said:
I have a 2013 4.0L V6 Tacoma Access Cab and have never had problems in the mountains (even very steep trails) lugging my Fleet. If you have the 4 cylinder, consider the V6. If you have the V6, then something is seriously wrong with your engine or drive train - try fixing that before buying a bigger truck.
Are you sure? I got Tacoma fever and just traded for a 2017 DCSB manual transmission. I have a Swift coming later this month. It is a bit of dog and have to downshift going up hills on the interstate. I am worried I picked the wrong truck and will be going up hills in 3rd gear on the interstate.

Our V6 Tacoma handles our camper just fine. It will downshift on steep hills but has plenty of power. If necessary I can pass slower vehicles going up a steep hill without a problem. The shifting can be annoying but you get used to it. You can manage it by manually downshifting and keeping it there. We usually drive at a speed that minimizes the downshifting and maximizes fuel economy anyway.

Not trying to talk you out of buying a bigger truck though. The older Tundras work great with the small campers. The jack extensions are an easy solution also if you go that route. Good luck getting the setup that works best for you.

Frstnflt said:
Are you sure? I got Tacoma fever and just traded for a 2017 DCSB manual transmission. I have a Swift coming later this month. It is a bit of dog and have to downshift going up hills on the interstate. I am worried I picked the wrong truck and will be going up hills in 3rd gear on the interstate.
If you want to drive up the hills on the freeway at the speed limit without downshifting, and have the money, then get a larger truck.
This is also probably the case if you want to keep your cruise control on full-time - the Tacoma cruise control is not configured for the weight of our campers (and I've found no hacks to change its response) so it will down shift a couple of gears to try and keep speed. I find that annoying, so don't use it unless I'm on a long level stretch.

I've found the same thing as Bosque Bill. When cruise control is on, our 2013 V6 Tacoma will downshift to a much lower gear (at much higher rpm) than if I leave cruise control off. Of course I had been driving a 2003 2.7L Tacoma for 15 years and am use to taking my time on long steep grades.

The downshifting by a couple of gears when climbing seems to be characteristic of the Toyota cruise control. It happens in my 5,7l Tundra also even with sufficient power available. The Tundra transmission always seems to be in an appropriate gear for the conditions of hills and accelerator pedal position, but the cruise control tends to really step on it while climbing resulting in a large speed increase request.

The fact that the Tundra accelerator is fly-by-wire electronic control rather than a mechanical adjust the throttle control seems to play a part also. I wish it could detect climb and hold throttle constant until top of hill. Would help fuel consumption to trade some air speed for elevation

It isn't all bad. It also downshifts to maintain speed when going downhill.

Paul

Any pics of this, curious how you did tve platform anf install the cross members?
Squatch said:
I've got an Eagle in a 1st gen Tundra and find it ideal. It did require a slight platform to raise it up a little.

You can see my Eagle on my RAM 1500. I like the way it "tucks" behind the cab more than it did on my Dakota. Like others, you have to (in general) build a platform to raise the camper above the bed. I used a few 2x4's, build some "doors" on the side for access along the wells and put locks on for safety. I keep chairs, a small table, etc. on the sides.

kmcintyre said:
You can see my Eagle on my RAM 1500. I like the way it "tucks" behind the cab more than it did on my Dakota. Like others, you have to (in general) build a platform to raise the camper above the bed. I used a few 2x4's, build some "doors" on the side for access along the wells and put locks on for safety. I keep chairs, a small table, etc. on the sides.
Can you show some pictures of this? I am transitioning my Swift from a Tacoma to an F-150. Does anybody have plans of the extension plates to get to a fabricator?

We have a 2016 Tacoma V6 auto TRD OR and it will shift 43 times going out my driveway....it is an especially annoying trait when new but I believe it was designed to meet CA smog regulations.

Also, the motor is supposed to rev high to make power.

All this aside, a smaller camper in a larger bed would at least give you some extra room "outside."

Do away with the mounting turnbuckles and you could store quite a lot on either side.

David Graves

Frstnflt said:
Can you show some pictures of this? I am transitioning my Swift from a Tacoma to an F-150. Does anybody have plans of the extension plates to get to a fabricator?
They are simply flat aluminum stock, roughly 1/4” thick, about 5” wide, the length of the jack mount. You could easily make these if you wanted to save $$.

+1

Did this for the two front mounts but used some scrap steel that i had. Cut to length and drill 6 holes, Easy Peasy.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
They are simply flat aluminum stock, roughly 1/4” thick, about 5” wide, the length of the jack mount. You could easily make these if you wanted to save $$.

Back
Top Bottom