Small Leak

Beach

Well we are getting mucho rain here in Texas these days. So Thursday after work I pop the top just to ck everything since we got 3.5 inches of rain while at work and we are leaving Sat morning for a couple days. Any ways all is good, nice and dry. Fast forward to sat afternoon after driving through heavy rain to our destination. I ck the camper over the cab and find a small amount of water in the front left corner. I have long suspected some leakage driving in heavy rain due to water being driven into the roof gap between the lower section of the camper. It appears the front seal has lost it's shape and is not sealing to well any more . After a couple hrs of perseverance my neighbor and I were able to snake a piece of 1/4 vacuum line into the hollow section of the old seal strip to renew it's shape and give it some rigidity, hopefully the leak is history. I could feel the increased tension on the toggles when latching the roof after we finished.

I've also heard of using the rubber strips that you would use for putting a new screen in a screen door for this. Kind of a thin rubber rope and fishing it inside of automotive bulb door seals. Might work on camper seals too.

Squatch said:
I've also heard of using the rubber strips that you would use for putting a new screen in a screen door for this. Kind of a thin rubber rope and fishing it inside of automotive bulb door seals. Might work on camper seals too.
Known as spline. Just replaced some screens.

Beach, did this fix your issue? Thinking of doing something like this but I am wondering if anyone has used 3/8 backer rod? Seems like it would compress a bit better than 1/4 vacuum line. Camper is in storage about 100 miles away and can't really just walk out and try it out.

The backer rod looks great. Hopefully it is a mold free product.

I'd like to know why there was such a struggle pulling the tubing through? What technique did you ultimately find worked well?

Bill D said:
The backer rod looks great. Hopefully it is a mold free product.

I'd like to know why there was such a struggle pulling the tubing through? What technique did you ultimately find worked well?
Bill

I haven't tried this yet. I'm just trying to come up with ideas to take care of an intermittent leak. Plan is to use a fish tape with maybe some water-soluble cable lube.

The running lights are suspect also.
I removed each of mine and put black silicone behind each rubber seal and in the wiring holes.

Back
Top Bottom