Smoke Detector

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
3 weeks ago the smoke detector went off while my wife was boiling water. The door and a window were open. We thought that she got the pot too close to the detector and the steam set it off. Had to take it a part and pull the battery. Then today we were driving home from a camping trip
We stayed at a friend's house last night, not in the camper. When we pulled into the driveway, after a 3 hour drive, and got out of the truck the smoke detector was going off. Took the battery out and tested it. It was well in the green (good) zone.

Any ideas guys. It was raining hard off and on and very humid. Could the exhaust do it? jd

Maybe try a new one,they aren't very expensive.Yours may be defective.Also try to mount in a different area of the camper. Mine is mounted on the left side of the rear lift panel.
Frank

Hi Longhorn1
You could try cleaning with compressed air. Those cans for computers I've used. Denergize before you clean. Check to see what the warranty is??
Call the manufacturer and speak with them, speak with customer service or customer support ask them about your question as to it going off with out there seeming to be a reason. Manufacturer's like to help with their products.
Hope this helps, also found this on TCM.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/maintenance/replacing-rv-lp-co-and-smoke-detectors/

Russ

Smoke detectors are extremely finicky. When you say "going off" I'm assuming you mean a constant loud "beeping" at 85 decibels or louder.

In general steam is notorious for setting them off. Cleaning with compressed air or a vacuum can help but to be honest some just do false alarm and are not worth wasting time trying to figure it out. At Home Depot you can get a replacement for as little as $2.56

I spent forty years trying to figure out why they false alarm. Still don't know.

We recently set the smoke alarm off in my camper with a campfire. Not once but twice in the same trip.

I've had more issues with the C01 monitor. Replaced the old one over the summer because it was false alarming so much just sitting in the drive.

Stopped for gas the other day on a long several state drive and it was going off. I think maybe the draft behind the truck in the rain was causing it to sense some truck exhaust.

I think the location near the floor by the door on mine causes it to get dirty easily.

I think replacing these monitors is going to be a regular maintenance item. The propane c01 monitor have a 5 year life span. I've also replaced the fire alarm once. found an Identical at the home store. Fit my existing base.

Our new camper smoke detector alarms easily and we are pulling the batteries (and replacing) them for morning pancakes every day. The batteries are new and the smoke detector tests OK. They appear to be designing smoke detectors to be very sensitive. Our original propane/CO detector only lasted 3 years.

If your 12V battery is low on water and or being overcharged it can set off detectors too. Good luck, Bigfoot Dave

Back
Top Bottom