Smoke

CPT Davenport

Anyone's travel plans getting altered due to smoke from Canada wildfires? We plan to head up to the Tetons and concerned that we may have to postpone the trip. We leave in two weeks and will head east to Utah then up north from there. Any insight to conditions, current or predicted is appreciated. Looks like the smoke is mainly north east of our destinations.

Also hoping that any members that reside in Canada or nearby are ok.

Thanks ski, I have been monitoring that same map. Today looks even worse. I'm looking for anyone in the destination area that may have some first hand knowledge of the air quality. We have never been to Yellowstone NP and likely will only go one time. We just want to make sure we can see her in all her glory. If the visibility and air quality is compromised, we will reschedule our visit.

Judging by the map images, the majority of the smoke remains outside the park boundaries, but slowing moving closer to that area.

Capt.

Call a business or USFS in the area to be visited and ask them about air quality...here in NE Oregon air has cleared up but changes day to day and fire season just ramping up...

Wallowa said:
Capt.

Call a business or USFS in the area to be visited and ask them about air quality...here in NE Oregon air has cleared up but changes day to day and fire season just ramping up...
Great idea. I will make sure to call before we pull away, to get the most up to date conditions.

It's hard for me to imagine how Canada can be burning when we still have so much snow left to melt. Unfortunately local media coverage of anything happening in Canada is poor to non existent. Good luck with your trip.

Not that misery loves company but here in NE the air is thick from the Nova Scotia and Quebec fires. Smells bad... eyes burning, the house air filter is running red.

I remember Frank in 2019 the fires had the Bay area thick. My sister and brother are out there and commented on it. Glad I don't have an outside job!

Wow. Here in South-Central PA we had an AQI (Air Quality Index) reading of around 200 yesterday and I thought that was bad. Today is worse, both visually and by the numbers.

It seems odd that the reported AQI numbers vary quite a bit. For example the AQI at the local airport is reported by Weather Underground to be 248 right now. But AirNow shows it as 460 (!!!!!!!) and IQair says 408.

IQAir's top-ten-worst-in-the-US table currently says all ten are in this general area.

I've also learned that predictions aren't very good. Yesterday's 7-day prediction for our area on IQAir said the AQI was supposed to drop under 100 today but it's actually much worse. Today's prediction says it will drop under 100 starting tomorrow.

AirNow's AQI Basics page

IQAir

FireSmoke Canada

PS- Fortunately, we have a decent HEPA-filtered air purifier and that seems to be working pretty well.

PPS-- LOL_ Just saw this post in the Reno subreddit: New Yorkers are losing their **** over wildfire smoke, and Renoites are like, oh, that’s just September

Great you have a filter.Here on the west coast we get a lot of days with
bad air but most of the time here on the Monterey bay the wind helps to
move it away .Stay safe.
My sister lives in the willow Grove area and her air is off then charts.
Frank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom