Smooth Fiberglass Siding

bsharp007

Curious about people's opinion regarding the new smooth fibergalss siding FWC is offering? I prefer the looks but wondering about the pros and cons?
Any informed opinions are welcome.
Btw saw the "Silver Spur" option in person it looks pretty cool.

This is quoted from my FWC build thread. Hope it helps.

Nathanael, I know you have been doing a ton of research on this stuff. I have been picking through your thread. I am kind of on the same page with you being picky and starting with close to a shell as well. Anyway, what is your reasoning for going with the aluminum siding? Is it purely cost? Just trying to figure out what advantages there are either way other than cosmetic.

There are a few reasons I have decided to stay with the aluminum siding, even though I once swore I would never own a camper that looked like it had house siding on it.

Looks: I like the way the glass (Filon) looks when new, but there is a (small) part of me that likes the old school look of the aluminum. My girl pointed out that the smooth sides look cheap, and I can see where she is coming from, especially with plain white glass. If you color matched the camper to the truck then it is a no brainer. But I also think in the long term the aluminum will stay looking nicer, as painted glass scratches easily.

Longevity: I am sure FWC has done it's homework, but I have become skeptical about how long the glass will look good, and looks are the only reason to go with glass. Spider web cracks from flexing. Scratches from tree branches. Minor dings and damage. These things will be very obvious on the glass, but not a problem with aluminum. The aluminum siding can have sections easily replaced, but as best I can tell the glass is a one piece shell, so fixing major damage would be a problem. In the end I know that a ten to twenty year old camper with aluminum siding still looks nice, and I am not convinced that the glass will stay looking as good as it does when new. (Stan please chime in if you have any thoughts on this.)

Cost: (Edit: now listed as a $650 option.)
$400 is not a huge amount, but it is over 5% the cost of a shell and I am pinching every pinney to afford this camper. (Not sure how much having a shop color match would be, but I would guess an extra $500+.) So for myself spending the extra grand just for looks is a big consideration, a thousand dollars buys a lot of gas.

Weight: (Edit: Added weight is 37 pounds on a Hawk.)
Just as with cost, I am watching every pound on this project. Stan says there is not much of a weight difference, but on a Tacoma every extra pound makes a difference. So I would go with the aluminum solely based on a small weight savings.

So those are my thoughts. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point.

sorry to hi-jack this tread, but bsharp007, can you please email me and let me know if you have sold your camper yet? I have emailed you a few times through Craigslist, but no reply

Cheers
Jamie
(Australia)
j DOT m DOT king AT hotmai DOT com

Sorry Jamie, the camper is sold...I probably thought your email was a scam. So many on Craigslist these days. Anyway best of luck with the search!

sorry to hi-jack this tread, but bsharp007, can you please email me and let me know if you have sold your camper yet? I have emailed you a few times through Craigslist, but no reply

Cheers
Jamie
(Australia)
j DOT m DOT king AT hotmai DOT com

Thanks Hardley, Other then looks I cant think of any real advantages to the fiberglass siding. I think I'll stick with the tried and true aluminum siding.

This is quoted from my FWC build thread. Hope it helps.

Thanks Hardley, Other then looks I cant think of any real advantages to the fiberglass siding. I think I'll stick with the tried and true aluminum siding.

Looks and maybe a little thermal. Came to the same conclusion, not worth the cost. :cool:

You can see "telegraphing" through the Alum. siding in different lighting conditions although. Screws for the window frames and different courses of the siding going in and out. Not a big deal for me as I know I'll be smackin the sides on stuff.

Curious about people's opinion regarding the new smooth fibergalss siding FWC is offering? I prefer the looks but wondering about the pros and cons?

The new rounded top door I put on my Eagle uses fiberglass siding and that's already showing fine netlike cracking of the gel surface. I'm very experienced with working with fiberglass, but when it gets worse it's going to be a real pain to fix. Probably just epoxy paint it then.

I prefer the aluminum look.

Back
Top Bottom