Snorkel?

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
While I wait for my new Hawk, I've been doing some mods to my truck. I have a 2017 Silverado that only has 25k miles on it. So far I have added super springs, ride rite air bags, heavy duty Bilstein shocks and Toyo 10 ply tires. In an attempt to boost horse power and performance I upgraded the exhaust to a 3'' pipe with a Magna Flow muffler, K&N cold air intake and filter. I have been reading that adding a snorkel helps the engine breathe and may increase HP and performance. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I always thought they were just for high water crossings. The other mods to air intake and exhaust have definitely increased my "giddy up" so far.

A snorkel can help reduce the dust getting to the intake air filter because it is higher up from the dirt road surface.

Given that the air flow path is longer and will have bends in it I don't see how it would help HP. Also the air flow is limited by the inline air filter. Some actual pre and post snorkel install data could change my perspective (assuming no other mods to explain a difference). ;-)

I run one. I offroad, it keeps engine intake air cooler. I do water crossing. An allows cleaner air in filter area. My trucks original air intake is by wheel well.

So the main benefit is really for water crossings right? If this is the case I will skip this mod on this truck. I have a k5 for the black diamond stuff. I would like to keep my house on wheels for long range exploration and moderate off roading.

For domestic North American use the main benefit would be cleaner, cooler air. For deep water crossings the system would have to be completely sealed, not to mention other considerations in the engine and passenger compartment. IMO you’re on the right track in skipping this addition unless…you are often following others in very dusty conditions.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
For domestic North American use the main benefit would be cleaner, cooler air. For deep water crossings the system would have to be completely sealed, not to mention other considerations in the engine and passenger compartment. IMO you’re on the right track in skipping this addition unless…you are often following others in very dusty conditions.
Thanks, I think I'll save my pennies and skip the snorkel.

A snorkel will definitely not increase power. And unless the rest of the vehicle (ECU location, etc.) is suited for deep water crossings even a sealed snorkel won't do much for your fording depth. It does get the air intake above some ground-level dust, which is the reason they come standard on most ROW Land Cruiser models.

Back
Top Bottom