Snow in Southern Owens Valley

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
OK, enough already about snow where there's frequently snow...
rolleyes.gif

I noticed on one of my favorite webcams, "DustCams at Owens Lake", that there's snow on the ground all around Owens Lake. I don't know really...but it seems like there isn't usually snow down that far (elevation/latitude).
Unusual or not, still looks nice. :)
And if you're not familiar with this great set of webcams -- bookmark it! :)
On the linked page there's a map/key showing where each of the 6 cams is located and pointing.

cartagov1.jpg

cartagov2.jpg

microv1.jpg

keelerv1.jpg

dolomitev2.jpg

dolomitev1.jpg

dustcamviews.jpg

In this few-minutes-ago satellite image it looks like the valley snow is in the southern Owens but not the northern:

VIS1LAS20110220-1730UTC-b.gif

And, yes, there does seem to be a lot of snow south/west/north of Saline.

I would guess some folks are in for a long stay at Saline HS. Wonder if Gene went there or AZ?

Gene decide to go to the Alabama Hills. He sent me a couple of spectacular pix of the eastern Sierra. I'm sure he'll post a few when he gets back.

Yes, Anne and I went to the Alabama Hills. We had been to Saline a few weeks earlier so we decided to go where we'd have few others around us. We were pretty much alone. I'll post a thread on Trip Reports.

For those in Saline, the Inyos were packed with snow on the west side this morning, pretty much all the way to the bottom of the valley. My guess is anyone with chains had no problem getting out. The east side of the Inyos rarely get hit as hard. Reports on DV.com is that there was no problem getting out South Pass.

Back
Top Bottom