So long Red Jeep

dorocks

Just a sad note. I sold my 2006 rock crawling Jeep to a fellow in Valencia on a Sunday. He called me the next weekend and with a somber tone said someone stole it from his driveway.

I wondered over all the years I had it, when someone would bag it. I heard so many times from friends who got theirs stolen.

I am sure it is in Mexico or in parts all over California. Thank goodness his insurance was in effect already.

Attachments

• MG7982-XL.jpg
    MG7982-XL.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 110
Sometimes I wish we had just a quick sanitary way to eliminate scum like this. Zap, they're gone. Best of luck to your friend.

I've always hoped they'd see four shifters and just give up. Doubt they'd want my old girl but she lives in the garage anyway. I hope he posted it on pirate.

Thieves suck. Pure and simple.

I wondered over all the years I had it, when someone would bag it. I heard so many times from friends who got theirs stolen.

Really it's that rampant down there? :eek:

Black Bear Pass Colorado. That's Telluride down below.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Colorado-Jeeping-San-Juan/24724799_DGPr5v#!i=2022084168&k=Cv5xKL7

Really it's that rampant down there? :eek:

This post on Pirate 4x4.com will give you some idea.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994406

Our southern border "friends" are wearing thin on me. :cautious: I didn't start out this way but since moving to WA from MI and being among higher numbers, esp. in my neighborhood I've become soured with first hand experiences (P.S. everything shouldn't get spray painted you animals!). I can only imagine what southern CA is like at ground zero.

What did Stan post a couple of weeks ago, about how some one stole a truck/4wc camper and boat! I was just talking to a good friend of mine yesterday, a retired cop-about that sort of thing! The changing face of the types of people you meet out here in the back country and how it seems to be a different world from what we are used too-even out here. We used to say, most people you meet are okay, only that one % is bad, well it seems like that has gone up allot in the last ten years or so, it,s like they only care about themselves no one else. We explained the change by saying the city and county parks and local forest service/park service areas were getting filled up, so more and more people -untrained in how to use and not not abuse the back country (much less care about what they were doing)-showed up out here! Starting to ramble on but you guys know what I mean. For example, some one here in Susanville is using a bow/arrow to shoot up the local in town buck population-not even for food just 'cause they can I guess-four bucks have been shot so far, the whole town pretty upset about this, but it sort of speaks to the times we live in.

Smoke

For example, some one here in Susanville is using a bow/arrow to shoot up the local in town buck population-not even for food just 'cause they can I guess-four bucks have been shot so far, the whole town pretty upset about this, but it sort of speaks to the times we live in.

Smoke

That sounds like a pre-teen/teen male a bit off kilter if I had to guess, that sorta stuff has always gone on to an extent (not that its an excuse). It just used to be frogs in the pond or such.

DoRocks, sorry to hear about Ole Red. Are you planning a new Jeep build or taking a break?

DoRocks, sorry to hear about Ole Red. Are you planning a new Jeep build or taking a break?

Have thought about a new one but have heard bad stories about heating/fire issues. Saw a practically new JK last weekend beside the road boiling over profusely. Never had heating issues in 6 years of owning the TJ. Then the recent recalls. Love the new Pentastar performance however, but not the 2012/2013 prices.

I am looking to keep my next Jeep lower with a minimal lift at best. I jump in and out a lot to do photography. Also want an automatic this time. I don't need a rig for rock crawling. Bored with that sort of thing. I need a agile tough vehicle however. The truck is too big for some of the places I like to frequent. I just want to get to places that require a moderate Jeep. I may buy a used TJ (even non-Rubicon) cheaply and throw on a rear locker and a Teraflex quick disconnect sway bar and leave it at that. If I could get a new Rubicon for what I got for my 2006 for I would do that. They were closing them out for less the $23,000 new back then.

Just got back tonight from a 11 day, 3700 mile road trip with my 19 yr old daughter in my 3 week old 2013 JK Unlimited Sport S. Love the new seats (2013 models), engine and transmission, 3.73 limited slip diff. Stock tires not so much.

Started and ended in Seattle. Wallowa lake in NE Oregon, Hells Canyon FS roads, punctured the stock P255/75/R17 tires on the rocky roads there, Craters of the Moon, Got new tires and wheels in Salt Lake City area (BFGs TA-KO A/T, Load Range E 285/70/R17 on 17x8.5 rims with 4.5" offset, snowflake on side) then on to Moab for a few days, onward to Teluride and up to the power house at the falls (lower 2-way segment of the Black Bear Pass road), camped at Alta lakes nearby, then Ophir Pass, Silverton/Howardsville mine tour (Old Hundred Mine), Red Mountain Pass and ghost towns/mines, Corkscrew Pass, Hurricane Pass, California Pass, Engineer Pass and Lake City, CO for the night, on to Monarch Pass, Independence Pass, Aspen and Dinosour National Monument for the night and morning tour, then camped at Grand Teton NP, did the circle tour in Yellowstone yesterday and stayed in Butte, MT. Today stopped in Missoula to see friends of my ride-along daughter at U of Montana, stopped at older older daughters place in Spokane and got a Gonzaga campus tour and dinner at the falls, then home in Seattle.

Saw/photographed a wolf (2 feet away), many bison, and elk. Wolf went sauntering by the Jeep down the side of the road on north shore of Yellowstone Lake. 30 minutes later on our return by there a ranger was out there with a tranq gun looking for him.

The floor boards get very warm. Plenty of shielding underneath, but it gets real hot under the hood and transmission hump. Plenty of power for the freeway passes, and is quiet and smooth. Like the selectable gear and downhill assist feature in 4-Low, really works. Has a variable speed radiator fan that sounds like a jet engine when up near or at full speed. Kicked in a few times in the steep rocky passes. Engine coolant temps stayed normal.

Before I left I put 500 miles to break it in, put on Ace Engineering rock sliders/steps, stuck on door sill protectors, installed a SpiderWebshade Ultra mesh shade top and found a new 2012 takeoff soft top on craigslist and got that on - it has the Sunrider fold back top. The shade and top was used often, was nice combo. Hard top is hanging by pulleys in the garage.

So 2 thumbs up on the new 2012/3 model. Sold my RAM 2500 and Grandby combo last month to do a lifestyle swap with the Jeep. The jeep made every route easily, only scraped bottom once in Moab. Stayed on Easy to Moderate rated trails and roads. 2" lift in the cards later but probably after bumpers and winch to get the spring rates right. Also need to size for carrying my trail motorcycle on the hitch carrier. Need mud flaps for gravel damage control and mud on door reduction.

Back
Top Bottom