So where am I?

Barko1

OK, can you start by guessing what state?

P1040756-S.jpg

Same locale
P1040733-S.jpg

P1040730-S.jpg

Enough suspense :D The topography surprised me, it is actually Caprock Canyon State park, in TX, home of the state Buffalo herd! About 460 miles North of Big Bend in the Texas panhandle. If you stay on I40 you get across that area quickly but there are interesting places to be missed. I have also camped at Copper Breaks State Park, approximately 100 miles East. The big park in the area is Palo Duro, 100 miles NE, said to be the 2nd largest canyon in the US. I'll stop there when I have a little more time. We camped at the furthest back camping area, has a pit toilet and some fire rings, all I wanted was a place to park. There was no on else around but it was a Tuesday night in late November. Beautiful skies, nice howling coyotes, buffalo (OK, Bison), and great surroundings. I was making a quick trip back to Las Cruces from South Bend, IN. and had spent the previous night in a rest area along I44 and wanted something more soothing to the soul :LOL: Always good to find interesting places where I wasn't really planning on them.

Enough suspense :D The topography surprised me, it is actually Caprock Canyon State park, in TX, home of the state Buffalo herd! About 460 miles North of Big Bend in the Texas panhandle. I have also camped at Copper Breaks State Park, approximately 100 miles East. The big park in the area is Palo Duro, 100 miles NE, said to be the 2nd largest canyon in the US. Always good to find interesting places where I wasn't really planning on them.

Wow, Barko, those three TX state parks are close to me--only the OK panhandle is between! I'll have to zip over and do some hiking and biking. What were the temps like when you were there last month?

Wow, Barko, those three TX state parks are close to me--only the OK panhandle is between! I'll have to zip over and do some hiking and biking. What were the temps like when you were there last month?

It can get damn cold in the panhandle, big cold fronts roll down the plains from Canada, brrr I think we caught 50's and mid 20's.

Enough suspense :D The topography surprised me, it is actually Caprock Canyon State park, in TX, home of the state Buffalo herd! About 460 miles North of Big Bend in the Texas panhandle. If you stay on I40 you get across that area quickly but there are interesting places to be missed. I have also camped at Copper Breaks State Park, approximately 100 miles East. The big park in the area is Palo Duro, 100 miles NE, said to be the 2nd largest canyon in the US. I'll stop there when I have a little more time. We camped at the furthest back camping area, has a pit toilet and some fire rings, all I wanted was a place to park. There was no on else around but it was a Tuesday night in late November. Beautiful skies, nice howling coyotes, buffalo (OK, Bison), and great surroundings. I was making a quick trip back to Las Cruces from South Bend, IN. and had spent the previous night in a rest area along I44 and wanted something more soothing to the soul :LOL: Always good to find interesting places where I wasn't really planning on them.

Many thanks Barko for this posting. While I am still not too sure where you were, from the pictures I know I need to be there. With a small zig it might be part of our next trip.

Good stuff! I've looked at Caprock Canyon on maps (and the TX parks website), but haven't been there yet. It's so close, too. I definitely need to get over there. I'm less than a year from retiring, and it's nice to keep adding to "The List"!

Good stuff! I've looked at Caprock Canyon on maps (and the TX parks website), but haven't been there yet. It's so close, too. I definitely need to get over there. I'm less than a year from retiring, and it's nice to keep adding to "The List"!

I found them because I travel to the Midwest for family visits and it make a good first night stop. I stopped there once before and explored, briefly, the area around the front campground, hook-ups & RV's, the furthest camp area is the place to go.

Back
Top Bottom