Solar Controller Clicking

robcc

Advanced Member
We have a Renology Solar Controller. I've never noticed this before but it now seems to click a lot (every 10 seconds) especially in the morning and evening. My thought is this is when the sun is barely charging the system. Is this normal?

I wonder if the [SIZE=13.3333px]solar controller is cycling on and off from "full charge" to "maintain" mode or something.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.3333px]Be sure to check al connections. Maybe clean the terminals and all connections and see if that helps.

There are some Renogy trouble shooting videos on the web but i did not see anything specific to the clicking.[/SIZE]

Anything is possible.

Are you sure it is not your battery separator ?

That is the most common item I see on a regular basis that display those same symptoms.

(clicking every 10 or 20 seconds)

If that is what is actually clicking, charge up your camper batteries overnight with a portable battery charger, or through the camper IOTA power converter by plugging into 110/120V AC shore power.

See if that takes care of it ?

(sample picture attached)

Attachments

• Aux Battery Separator.jpg
    Aux Battery Separator.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 30
I think Stan is right. And if he is, you might want to look at changing/upgrading the separator and/or the wiring between truck and camper. That clicking is preventing you from getting the truck to charge the camper batteries.

Follow up-- One of the wires was loose on the battery. A reminder that it is often the simplest solution. Should have checked it first.

Back
Top Bottom