Solar Controller Installation Location

Bwht4x4

I just purchased a Sunsaver 15A MPPT controller for my solar project and I'm curious where others have installed this same unit in a newer Hawk. I was considering putting it in the same box as the batteries, but I'm not sure how much heat it generates. I know it needs 6 inches above and below the unit to allow air flow, which I think I can get in the battery box. The issue with this location is the lid on top seals it from additional air flow.

Is there a better location in or behind a cabinet?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

I installed the same unit in the rear of the cabinet to the right of the sink. I had to unscrew a cabinet front panel to access the location. FWC uses this same location, is my understanding. [sorry, no photos handy right now]

The solar prewiring terminates there on my 2008 Hawk. That location requires a short 4' run of 'tray cable' to the battery. I also ran the temp sensor wire to the battery from the controller.

Craig...did you install the Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT?

JHa...if it was done by FWC I believe they install PWM models, which have different requirements for clearances above and below it. If I'm not mistaken for Morningstar it's 2" above and below for the PWM and 6" above and below for the MPPT version.

I'm assuming the MPPT generates a bit more heat and thus the greater clearances.

With it's reported higher efficiency I would expect an MPPT to generate less heat than a PWM. Heat is wasted power.

I don't know about where, but I would look for a location that has the shortest wires between the battery(ies) and the controller. The programming does have a temperature variable, so it wants to be in the same temperature environ as the battery(ies). If you have the remote temp sender for the unit, or can get one, then it's being near the battery(ies) (i.e. in the box with them) so as to be operating at the same temperature becomes less important.

Just stuck it next to the thermostat and ran the line to the battery (the other line went to the solar panel) -but again I kept things simple because I'm don't know much about electronics!-so I just followed the instructions on the package! I know I should have removed the side panel and done it the right way, but did not what to do that again like I had to do when the water pump went on the fritz! The whole set up looks sort of klutzy but it works!

Smoke

You could call Morningstar, let them know what you have in mind, and see what they say. I did that and they said it'd be fine for me to install without the clearance. I have plenty of clearance behind the controller (it's attached to 2 "poles" let's say with nothing directly behind it), but only maybe 1-2 inches above. There's a bit more clearance below. The controller has never been warm, but I got one that was plenty extra big for my current needs: 20 amp controller and I only have 100 watts solar. The guy said especially w/ just 100 watts I'll be fine.

You could also try using a small computer fan that blows on/around the controller if you can figure out how to make it stop blowing when the sun stops shining.

FWIW mine is the Sunsaver SS20L 20A.

I think ntsqd is right on.

I wanted my controller as close to the batteries as possible.
The limitation in the FWC system to me is the wiring from the solar panels to the charge controller.
Because of their size, it limits how much power can be transfered to the batteries.
I tried to make the rest of my system as efficient as possible to overcome this - plenty of solar power and MPPT charge controller close to the batteries.
I'll include a few pictures, but there is plenty of room in my battery compartment to make it work.
Just don't try to drill into the side of the compartment where the water tank is!

I believe having the charge controller in the same compartment as the batteries is ok since they are AGM and sealed. If they were not (i.e. flooded), I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Attachments

• controller1.JPG
    controller1.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 199
  • controller2.JPG
    controller2.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 180
Thanks DrJ. Your battery box looks similar to mine and I'm guessing you have a newer camper. I was just out there trying to figure out a spot to install it and I came up with the exact same location that you did. Installing it where you did I could probably not install the battery temp sensor since the controller is located in the exact same spot as the batteries.

Thanks again!

I also hooked up a monitor that went with my charge controller. It was pretty easy to fish the telephone like wire by the water tank to the left of the battery box and then into the compartment just left of the sink.
It's kind of fun to see how many amps and what voltage is being put on the battery at any time.

Attachments

• solar3.JPG
    solar3.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 97
  • solar5.JPG
    solar5.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom