Solar Panel 80w $99 What do you think?

Barko1

80 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel From Solar Cynergy with cells from Q-Cells
PV-SC080J12

Solar Cynergy photovoltaic modules are designed for commercial and domestic applications and suitable for both grid-tied and off grid systems. Solar Cynergy offers both high performance and reliability. The silicon solar cells, held by heavy duty anodized aluminum frames, are laminated with TPT & EVA for longer working life and high efficiency output. An ideal power supply for boats, traffic signs, lights, pumps, vehicles, RVs, homes, camping and caravans.

Q-Cells wafers are cleaned with acids and alkaline solutions and electrophysically altered. An anti-reflection film made of silicon nitride is applied to them to increase their efficiency. And finally electrical contacts are attached. Q-Cells sells the finished cells to solar module manufacturers.

Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy
Cells: Q-Cells
Model Name: SLP80-12
Max Power: 80 W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 5.17A
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 4.65A
Optimum Operating Volatage (Vmp): 17.2V

Dimensions (inches): 46.8 x 21.06 x 1.365

Warranty: For panels that range from 80w to 200w, an output power of more than 90% of the minimum peak power within 10 years and more than 80% in 20 years is guaranteed.

Weight: 20 pounds

Check out www.solarcynergy.com for more info!

Last month I bought a 120w Solar Cynergy panel from Solar Blvd: $162 (plus shipping). Gormley Green did the same.

I received it; I haven't installed it yet, but it looks legit, FWIW.

For that price you can hardly go wrong. My panel is working just fine. And it won't attract zombies.

Direct link so you can buy it :D

My link

I just bought an 80w panel and a charge controller. I also added a 10w panel to my order for a co-worker. We will see how they all look in a few days :D

I bought the 100w one a couple months back, seems just fine. Its for my camper build though so I haven't really played around with it yet. For the money its hard to go wrong.

Be aware these are likely Chinese gov. subsidized solar panels they are flooding the market with to try and drive competitors out of buisness/the market so if that bothers you buy accordingly.

<snip>
Be aware these are likely Chinese gov. subsidized solar panels they are flooding the market with to try and drive competitors out of business/the market so if that bothers you buy accordingly.

Always good to have a big picture view. Thanks pods8.

Deals come, deals go.

12 months ago I purchased a 135 watt panel from Solar Blvd, for about $140.

If you think you'll want more than 80 watts, be patient and keep watching.

BTW, my opinion of Solar blvd, is "top notch", both in products and staff.

While I was satisfied with the PV panel I got from Solar Blvd, I wasn't totally satisfied with the customer service practices.

When I ordered it the ad said "available/shipping Jan 15" (or something like that). Jan 15 came and went without word from Solar Blvd.
I sent them an e-mail asking "What up?" and got a reply that they're on hold in customs, but would ship by the end of the week. The end of the week came and went without word from Solar Blvd.
So I sent them another e-mail asking "What's up?" and got a reply that it's already shipped. This turned out to be true, and I received it the next day.
(I shouldn't speak for Gormley Green...but I know that he had a similar experience -- lack-of-communication -- in his order of the same thing, same time period.)

So, it's not a scam or anything, but I didn't get the kind of communication regarding the order that I expect and receive from every other place I order -- even from Ebay individuals. (and I buy almost everything over the Internet, so I have a lot of experience with online orders.)

Be aware these are likely Chinese gov. subsidized solar panels they are flooding the market with to try and drive competitors out of buisness/the market so if that bothers you buy accordingly.

Very true - the US/Euro company that filed the big federal complaint against the Chinese is based just up the street from my office...

BUT also know that China just cut production on solar panels in light of the above case and cut some government subsidizes... So prices are going to go up in the very near future (I'm guessing of course).

While I was satisfied with the PV panel I got from Solar Blvd, I wasn't totally satisfied with the customer service practices.

When I ordered it the ad said "available/shipping Jan 15" (or something like that). Jan 15 came and went without word from Solar Blvd.
I sent them an e-mail asking "What up?" and got a reply that they're on hold in customs, but would ship by the end of the week. The end of the week came and went without word from Solar Blvd.
So I sent them another e-mail asking "What's up?" and got a reply that it's already shipped. This turned out to be true, and I received it the next day.

I dealt with customs in when I was in manufacturing. You get no word from customs (especially from Asia), you get your parts when they release it and you have no idea when that will be.

What do you expect them to say? Sorry we have no idea?

They did hold true to there word, did they not?

I do not feel that is a legitimate complaint...

I dealt with customs in when I was in manufacturing. You get no word from customs (especially from Asia), you get your parts when they release it and you have no idea when that will be.
What do you expect them to say? Sorry we have no idea?
They did hold true to there word, did they not?
I do not feel that is a legitimate complaint...

What may be normal in manufacturing has nothing to do with how a retailer should deal with their customers.
They listed a date in their online ad when the item would ship (Jan. 15) -- and then they didn't ship it on Jan 15, so no they didn't "hold true to their word". If they have trouble knowing when it will clear customs then they shouldn't guess. And then when the date slipped they didn't provide an explanation until I asked.

If you think that it's normal to not tell a customer when an item has shipped, then I guess you don't order much from Internet retailers. Trust me, it's not standard practice.

'nough said, just wanted to try and explain how it is in the background. Are there any other complaints about that web site.

I do understand your frustration and would feel the same.

Wish I got out as much as you !!

~DR

They're decent. Only issue I had with them is they told me they were carrying the Gen 3 sunsaver but I received a gen 2. I sent an email and a few days went by with no response, I finally had to call and they told me then to send it back for a refund. They didn't offer to cover shipping for the return. I sent it back and a few weeks later I got my refund for the purchase price but was out the money for the return shipping. So that is my minor complaint. Good pricing/shipping costs on panels though.

I've only ordered with them over the phone.

And, I asked every question I could think of at that time. I even called back several times to clarify something with them. In all cases, over the phone, I've received excellent customer service. When they had a change "in the look", but, not the function of a product, I received a call from them asking if that was going to be OK with me (and, it was OK with me).

I have received email confirmations of purchases, immediately after the phone orders and emails about the shipping details when promised.

I was definitely a bit disappointed by the lack of communication on my panel order as well Mark. They should have/could have sent a quick email letting us know they were held up. Instead of you having to inquire. However, as my panel is still lying in the garage (well, leaning anyways) and will continue to into April, I was in no hurry to receive it and as such ignored the lack of communication. Plus, when you live in Canada and order things online you just get used to receiving them at least 10 days later than you were promised. 11 days late and I start emailing.

Hopefully this thread isn't too derailed.

The panel sounds like a good buy, however I have been told on here that 80watts will just leave you wanting more. Which is why I went with the 120. Time will tell.

I had bought one of those 100w panels when they were on sale for $135 at solarblvd. Same complaints about lack of communication. I didn't really care either since at the time I wasn't ready to install it yet, but after a couple weeks I started wondering and called. Seems like it would be a lot less work for them to just send out a group email once a week rather than field all of those curious callers.
As for the panel.. it works. This is my first experience with solar so I am no expert. But it looks to be built solidly enough and it charges my battery up pretty quick.

I just bought an 80w panel and a charge controller. I also added a 10w panel to my order for a co-worker. We will see how they all look in a few days :D

I received my panel and charge controller yesterday. 8 'working days' for delivery isn't too bad. Very nicely/heavily packaged/wrapped/secured. It looks like it got run over, but the panel is A-OK - phew!

I am going to rig it up to test it out in the next couple days.

I did not receive the 10w panel I also ordered and did not receive any emails, updates, etc from the company other than the confirmation invoice they sent out when I made the order... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom