Solar Panel Mount

n0izh

Advanced Member
Good Morning,

Can any one tell me if a 120 watt panel can be mounted directly to the roof? It's physically the same size as modern
85 watt panels. I really don't want to have to install a roof rack because I want to keep the profile low. I know a 120 watt panel is way over kill, but It's what I have, and the new ones are the same size as this one anyway. I'll be adding an Engle front load fridge and some high power Ham radio xmtrs soon. I already have 550 amp hour batteries, but want a panel to top the batteries up if we're out for a couple weeks and don't want to start the truck.

Thanks
John

I already have 550 amp hour batteries

Wow....a huge Sears Diehard Platinum battery is 100 AH. How did you get 550 AH worth of batteries in your camper?

I just got a 120 watt panel too.....and will either mount it directly to the roof....or just hang it off of the Yakama system I have on the roof. I don't think it's overkill....especially since you have a 12v fridge. FWC mounts the 80 watt panels directly to the roof when they do their solar installations. I decided to go with the 120 watt panel to give me the option in the future to go with a 12v fridge if the original 3-way ever dies.

My 120 watt panel and controller was just delivered today....so I have a project ahead of me.

I spoke with the guys at FWC on a recent visit and they said that the roof beams are 1 inch wide by 1 1/2 inches deep. You can tell where they are by looking at the screws in your roof now. Just seal the new screw holes and you should be good to go.

I have the roof lifting system in my camper and will replace the 40# struts with 80# stuts....so lifting the roof shouldn't be an issue.

The batteries are what they use to keep cellular sites up on the air for a couple hours until a backup generator can be brought out. The cell sites will use between 15 and 20 of them depending on the site. The size is 4.5" wd, 15"lg and 11" tall. I have 5 across the front wall under the cushion. I may have to take two of them out though, I'm tired of the crappy BBQ grill I carry...and My Weber Q won't fit.It grills sooo much nicer! By the way the new Engle Front load will replace your 3-way if it dies, and it only draws about 2.5 amps. Also no having to worry about how level the camper is.

John

By the way the new Engle Front load will replace your 3-way if it dies, and it only draws about 2.5 amps. Also no having to worry about how level the camper is.

Thanks for the information John. Even if I replace my fridge with one that doesn't require the camper be level....I would still get it fairly level for general comfort while camping. I don't need the eggs to roll out of the pan in the morning.

It would be nice not to have to be level though. When my truck is parked in my driveway....it is too steep of an angle for the 3 way fridge to work. I have to park it in the street when the fridge is in use.

Most people are installing some sort of aluminum mounting plates or some aluminum Z bar to the camper roof to attach their solar panel to.

They will attach the brackets by screwing them or bolting them to the aluminum roof frame members.

Then you can mount the solar panel to the mounting brackets.

Hope this gives you a little bit better idea.

Happy Camping !

:)

Attachments

• Solar Panel 50 Watt #1.JPG
    Solar Panel 50 Watt #1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 580
  • solar panel aftermarket install.jpg
    solar panel aftermarket install.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 709
  • Solar Panel Slide Out #1.jpg
    Solar Panel Slide Out #1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • solar panel plug.JPG
    solar panel plug.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 632
I used the existing rack and made the other support out of 1x1 square aluminum like the rack is made of. I think that stuff is about $8 for 10'. Screwed it into the existing screw holes with longer screws of course.
935660388_Fncpn-M.jpg

Now I have a 100w panel for my toy hauler that has no rack but also has an aluminum roof frame but covered with plywood. I need to drill into it or figure out whether I want it some where other than the roof. I know some of you carry your panels and then move it into the sun upon arrival. That sound like a bit of a hassle but does get you better charging. Then I suppose would need to fabricate some sort of frame to let it rest in. What have you guys done along these lines?

Barko1,

Have you ever had a branch get under that panel and try to rip it off?

I've had some close calls with branches scraping on my roof. In fact the front piece on my boat rack is bent backwards from my last trip.

Barko1,

Have you ever had a branch get under that panel and try to rip it off?

I've had some close calls with branches scraping on my roof. In fact the front piece on my boat rack is bent backwards from my last trip.

Never have had although I suppose I could. I think the roof vent sticks up at least as high. I've had some side scrapes.

A tip for mounting is to make one side of the panel slightly higher than the other. You can use some washers on the brackets to offset it. That way, when it rains/snows/etc., it helps roll off the panel. Only 3-5 degrees helps a lot.

Great to see more folks going solar. It's my main power source for my camper.

A tip for mounting is to make one side of the panel slightly higher than the other. You can use some washers on the brackets to offset it. That way, when it rains/snows/etc., it helps roll off the panel. Only 3-5 degrees helps a lot.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that when I mount mine. Any other gotchas to watch out for?

How big is your panel? How much stuff are you running off of it?

Most people are installing some sort of aluminum mounting plates or some aluminum Z bar to the camper roof to attach their solar panel to.

Stan,

Any idea where a guy could pick up some of that aluminum Z bar material?

Good idea! As I said before I'm mounting a 100w to my trailer and the 1st thought was just put it on the roof but I'm wondering about other options. Any thought about making a rack that would put it over the trailer tongue, above the batteries and propane tanks? Almost like a roof over that area and mount it so I could take it off to move it into more sun if needed??? An advantage is that it would be right by the batteries, just wondering if that might be a more vulnerable place for it, certainly be easy to keep an eye on it. I'd probably have to put a lock on it or some idiot might just cut a wire and walk away with 100w.

Is an 80 watt panel to small to power an Engel MT45 or SR48F and a fantastic fan (lights will be LED)? Is the 120 watt more appropriate?

By my calculations it is, but I could be way high. I figure around 50AH for the fridge and 15AH for the fan for peak demands.

What would an appropriate size battery to match this system?

Thanks for your help, I'm slowly figuring this out, but still far from understanding it.

When I bought my 4wheel it had the solar panel mounted to the factory rack. It is mounted on one side with hinges so it can be tilted, which I never have done. It is mounted at the back and the cord comes down on a springy cable ( like a phone cord). It then goes into side of the camper toward the bottom. My camper sits out of the bed a foot or so and this works out well. If I forget to watch the cord it will unplug at a connection near the roof line. The location of the panel is not ideal but I may move it and just use a longer cord.

Back
Top Bottom