Solar panel vs Space Case

We have the big FWC solar panel and are considering adding a Yakima Space Case. Does the case block the panel so much as to seriously cut down on charging rate?

Any shade or shadow cast by a cargo box (Space Case) tree limb, telephone pole, etc on your solar panel(s) will reduce the performance of the panel(s).

A significant shadow on a panel will really knock down the output, but even a leaf on one of the cells can reduce output of the entire panel (but probably not significantly).

Here is an article on experiments an RV owner ran on his system that is worth a read.

Solar Panel Shading Experiment — Live Small | Ride Free - Sustainable Solar Powered RV

and here is a you tube video of an experiment on a single panel showing effect of shading:

My guess is that depending on the orientation of your panel and how you park relative to the Sun (where the shade from the cargo box goes over the course of the day) are big factors in sorting out the answer to your question.

Regards,
Craig

Fantastic information!! Thank you so much. I won't bother buying/installing Yak Tracks for now. Been a member of this board for about three hours and it is already a favorite. Lots of great information.

If you really need the cargo box space you could modify your system to use a deployable (folding) panel and simply rely on it when you carry the cargo box. You could connect the deployable panel in parallel with the existing panel or put in appropriate connections to use one or the other. Parallel is probably easiest and may make the most sense.

That written, I am not familiar with the FWC OEM solar panel charger implementation but having done my own system I have the perspective that it should not be hard to add a deployable panel to your existing system.

Probably the first question is if the Solar Controller you have is sufficient and then how/where to connect into the existing OEM system.

Hopefully someone who has done this with their OEM system will comment.

Regards,

Craig

This was one reason I mounted my panel on my roof racks. It gets it up in the air above the shadow of open roof vents and such.

I wouldn't get too worked up over shading the panel from the space case. Just park so that the panel is in the sun not the box.

A very small shadow greatly reduces the output of the panel. The amount of the decrease in output is not a function of area of the panel blocked. My understanding is that a shadow interrupts the circuit. I tested this by casting a shadow with my truck radio antenna across the panel and checking the charging current amps on the solar controller. The drop in charging current from the skinny antenna shadow was huge.

Best to have a portable panel with 25' of cord that you can find direct sun while parked. They make these now in roll up and fold up panels.

Back
Top Bottom