Solar Panels

Kilroy

I've been considering a solar panel but wondering about size to get. Hayduke, have you had much chance to use your panel? Anyone else using solar panels? There's a plug on the top of my Hawk which is suppose to for hooking up a solar panel.

I have a 15 watt solar charger to use if I'm in one place for a while, but haven't had any problems so far with using the heater.
Hayduke

I am interested in solar power as well and would love to hear more from someone who is equipped with a unit right now. i saw a 50 watt panel on an 06' eagle and it was super sharp, charged the aux. battery. i have an older model (93') ranger II and am wondering how difficult it would be to set a solar sytem up. any info?

panel

I have an 80 watt panel on my Eagle. I used it last summer for a month while camped in the Sierras. It powered a coffee maker, iPod Dock, laptop, lights, and occasional DVD with no problems. I thought of using it for my 3 way fridge, but it wouldn;t produce enough juice and I would need an extra battery or two. I could have gotten away with just a 50 watt panel for the needs mentioned above.

Good questions, all. I, too, have been researching this. I run the usual lights/fan/ipod/radio and occasional lap top. I also want to charge batteries for cameras, gps/ radios and the like. I'd like to have some extra power to run my ham radios....though I do more listening then transmitting. Always nice to have enough juice.

I love to stay off grid and sometimes stay in one place for 3-4 days...without starting the engine. Right now, have the dual underhood battery setup, but want to upgrade to more capacity....

Was thinking of getting the non glass unisolar panels to lessen the chance of breakage....maybe one of them new fangled blue sky charge controllers with the 'boost'. Haven't even looked into the practical matters of how to run wires, mount or even configure such a system.

Those with input, I'd love to hear it.....will probably be the later summer and fall project....

dave

Kilroy, I have used my panel, but it's only 15 watts w/ a 1 amp hour discharge. Basically, I use it to top off my optima yellow top which is the only battery in my rig. It functions as starter for truck and runs the heater,lights and charging for laptop/camera batteries, etc. There are threads RE: use of larger panels to run appliances directly. Sorry I'm not more help.
Hayduke

Great info all

I too have been looking into solar. I was thinking of 25 or 50 watts, will probably go with 50.

Question for ymc2272, during that month in the sierras, did you start your engine and charge the batteries from the alternator?

We have an 85 watt panel, charge controller, and an aux battery system on our ATC Cougar. Used it last week for three days (radio, lights, DVD) without running the engine, worked great. We got the 85 watt panel so we can recharge cameras, GPS, and laptop on longer trips using a small inverter.

The panel weighs about twenty pounds and is mounted above the cabover, so it makes raising it a little tougher, but worth it IMO.

Ward

Gosh, seems some people already are using solar, and a whole lot are very interested.

First question, do people think the unisolar panels that do NOT have any glass are better than traditional units with glass fronts. Those glass ones are much more efficient so smaller panel will produce the same as a unisolar. Of course, rocks won't break a unisolar. Also, the unisolar are supposed to be a little better with shade and warm climates. Of course, here in seattle, not a real big issue.....until we travel.

thanks

dave

Reply to EdoHart

I didn't start the engine the entire time. However, I did notice that when my solar setup was connected to my regular automotive battery and alternator, my deep cycle battery was being drained by something. After I disconnected it, however, I had no problems. I havne't sat down yet to figure out what the problems was.

Thanks, and it sounds like you have plenty of capacity

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like after a month with solar, you have plenty of capacity, at least during the summer. Curious about the drain on the deep cycle. I wish I knew enough to suggest possible causes. Best of luck to you if/when you try to isolate that issue.

Back
Top Bottom