Solar positive and neg on connector

XJINTX

If need be I will call FWC on Monday. I just finished adding solar backup to my little Trekmate pull behind trailer. I have added a Renology 100 watt panel with Wanderer controller. I discovered that the roof mount through connector is wired opposite of the adapter I bought a MC4 to standard adapter. https://www.ebay.com/i/332449159712?chn=ps Hard to explain but the red + and black - cables are wired opposite pins in the through connector. So inside box I have to reverse colors to controller.

Not a big deal but... I plan on using the panel as added power when in FWC. I just need to know which pin on Standard connector in the back of the FWC... is Positive and Negative.

Hope someone more knowledgeable than I understands what I'm asking ;)

On my '17 Fleet Shell, the one in the plug that is not covered is the positive, see photo. I tested this with a battery and confirmed it with the red wire in my battery box. 20180217_102856.jpg

Uncovered male prongs should always point upstream to the power source. Power flows downstream from source to load through covered female. That way there is no exposed metal with voltage to accidentally touch something and cause a short. Think of the wall outlets in your house.

Squatch - I like that explanation. Ideal for those of us electrically challenged and am going to incorporate it in my "Eagle/Fleet Amateur Build" post page 12 Reply # 111...giving you credit

This is a good view. Sounds like Zamp's wiring is reversed from the rest of the solar industry. I bought an adaptor just to throw in my bag of tricks.

Timothy McGowen said:
This is a good view. Sounds like Zamp's wiring is reversed from the rest of the solar industry. I bought an adaptor just to throw in my bag of tricks.
Thanks, Tim, As well as everyone on this thread! My non-Zamp solar panel registered a polarity problem, and my first thought was an error in the factory wiring. I had no idea that FWC uses Zamp solar components, which have the opposite polarity built in. After finding this thread I was able to fashion my own polarity reversal link (for about $4 in parts).

IMG_2261.JPG

Mine was backwards to, as i found out yesterday. Luckily someone on here posted about it and i found that thread in my research.

Quick test with the multimeter showed the polarity was reversed. I just cut, soldered, and flipped the plug.

Good to go now!

Back
Top Bottom