Solar pre-wiring

Gormley Green

Contributors
While I'm waiting to speak with Terry At FWC about this after the holidays, has anyone on here published an install of solar on a FWC with pre-wiring? Im not finding anything on the search.

If anyone has some pics of their install and the wires coming through the roof I'd appreciate seeing them.

My plan is to use those wires, figure out how the attach to the panel, extend them from where they terminate (at water tank) to inside my battery compartment, connect to MPPT controller, connect to battery (only inches away, and same temperature), and install the remote monitor somewhere clean and convenient.

Sound like a good plan?

Up in the air:

1) how to install panel on roof (likely do the Z-bar thing into roof frame), though I have 2 roof vents so that might limit my location choices for a 120 watt panel (57"x26").

2) negotiate pre-wiring location, etc.

I don't have much to add except these are my plans exactly once the Grandby arrives in the spring. I have done an install on my travel trailer following the same plan and it worked out just fine. In that case, I opted for the remote temperature sensor for the controller since the batteries are remote.

Like you I'm curious about how to attach the panel. FWC has done a fair bit of development work to make the roof with minimal fastners. I would hate to start drilling holes if I don't have too. I am thinking about using epoxy to glue the solar panel mounts in place. I've used West brand epoxy for years and they make an aluminum etching kit to help the epoxy hold. However, I don't think I'll try this until I talk to both FWC and West.

Interested in seeing how your install works out. Post pictures!

I will definitely be documenting the install job when it takes place. Likely won't be for another few months as I'm working outside and it's rain/snow season here. I am planning on using 4 Z feet to mount the panel sideways, mid-roof, by screwing them into the roof frame. However, my plan and what actually happens are very often 2 different things.

Terry at FWC phoned me this aft and told me I will find my solar wires in a coil under (above?) the front roof lift panel. The piece you push on to lift the roof up. So I will have freedom as to where I want the cables to exit the roof, increasing my panel location choices and limiting the amount of exposed wire on the roof. Ideally the wires will exit directly under the panel via a very small hole.

My plan is to use those wires, figure out how the attach to the panel, extend them from where they terminate (at water tank) to inside my battery compartment, connect to MPPT controller, connect to battery (only inches away, and same temperature), and install the remote monitor somewhere clean and convenient.

Hi Gormley Green,

That is exactly my install. A 120 watt panel on a camper prewired. Here ya go:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4014/page__p__43436__fromsearch__1&#entry43436

Hi Gormley Green,

That is exactly my install. A 120 watt panel on a camper prewired. Here ya go:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4014/page__p__43436__fromsearch__1&#entry43436

Perfect, thank you! I now remember reading that a while back.

I pointed out in the ultimate solar thread today that Solar Blvd has 120 watt panels on sale now from $600 down to $162! Hard to beat that, I ordered one today.

Hi I installed a solar 90watt panel (mono crystal)for my 2011 eagle ... I decided to not permanently mount it as I have an idea that suits me. I installed a second Deka AGM battery. It is a 8A24/79Amp/525CCA. I installed the controller in the battery compartment. I sent wires tover the top of the water tank to the wires coming from the roof.
I instead installed a plug on the exterior drivers side wall so that I could plug in the panel at camp sites. I also bought a speaker lift tripod, which I use only the center crank pole to raise the roof... te tripod I have set u as a solar panel tripod with a 16 foot 10 gauge wire that I can plug in at site....keep the camper in the shade when possible and panel in sun... if in the desert I can just put the panel on the roof. At present I travel with the panel in the pull out bed...fits great and safe. I am building a box for beneath the over hang (over cab) so that the panel will be there along with tripod on trips as this box will also be used to support the air foil in front. I do this as well as I have set up a rack in the garage window where the solar panel sits for the winter...plugged into the camper so both batteries are kept charged thru NE winter. Below is a copy/paste of a few correspondences while going through the process as well as a photo of wires in roof.... if you go that way just drill a hole from the box inside up through roof.

"Absolutely.... on top of the water tank seat... on the left... is a 2" x 12" vertical panel piece...2 screws... it pops off and the top of the water tank and the wires from the roof junction box, the red/black coil is there.
I have already put in the plug on the drivers side wall below the water tank inlet door.... wired through where those others are...across the water tank sand into the battery box, where I have also put the solar controller.... made the battery box today for the second battery.
I can't put the panel permanently on the roof as it comes in > 1/2" too tall for me to drive the camper into the garage. Okay though as now it can be on the roof when I camp and in the garage window during the winter!"

...there is an aluminum plate (top of box?) in the roof, welded to the frame where my plug was mounted and that's where the wires should be. I don't recall seeing a black plastic cover on my ceiling over the bed, maybe because my wires were already terminated at the plug."

" IMG_0179.jpgFWC told me my second battery would be mounted on it's side next to the first battery. It ended up under the rear dinette seat. It's hooked directly to the first battery, no switches, doubling the capacity."

Thanks buckland. Appreciate the info and ideas. I've been toying with the portable panel as its definitely more efficient and preferable to park the camper in the shade. But for ease of use I plan on mounting. Would love to see a pic of your under-cabover storage solution when you build one. I have seen some guys on here using C channel under there so the panel can be slid in and out.

Hi Buckland,
Just returned home with our new FWC Eagle. I too have garage height issues and chose not to permanently install a solar panel. We had a plug installed on the rear wall/drivers side with the wires terminating in the 2 battery location, not sure of what the next step might be. I woke up last night with thoughts of a similar install, hoping for a "portable" mount with my thule rack system. Can you tell me the make/model of the solar panel and controller? Do you know approximately how much it weighs and are you happy with its performance?

How did you attach it to the Yakima bars (brackets?) and do you remove the entire rack or just the solar panel when you arrive at your destination?

thanks, Gus

[
quote name='buckland' date='31 December 2011 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1325373686' post='62084']
Hi I installed a solar 90watt panel (mono crystal)for my 2011 eagle ... I decided to not permanently mount it as I have an idea that suits me. I installed a second Deka AGM battery. It is a 8A24/79Amp/525CCA. I installed the controller in the battery compartment. I sent wires tover the top of the water tank to the wires coming from the roof.
I instead installed a plug on the exterior drivers side wall so that I could plug in the panel at camp sites. I also bought a speaker lift tripod, which I use only the center crank pole to raise the roof... te tripod I have set u as a solar panel tripod with a 16 foot 10 gauge wire that I can plug in at site....keep the camper in the shade when possible and panel in sun... if in the desert I can just put the panel on the roof. At present I travel with the panel in the pull out bed...fits great and safe. I am building a box for beneath the over hang (over cab) so that the panel will be there along with tripod on trips as this box will also be used to support the air foil in front. I do this as well as I have set up a rack in the garage window where the solar panel sits for the winter...plugged into the camper so both batteries are kept charged thru NE winter. Below is a copy/paste of a few correspondences while going through the process as well as a photo of wires in roof.... if you go that way just drill a hole from the box inside up through roof.

"Absolutely.... on top of the water tank seat... on the left... is a 2" x 12" vertical panel piece...2 screws... it pops off and the top of the water tank and the wires from the roof junction box, the red/black coil is there.
I have already put in the plug on the drivers side wall below the water tank inlet door.... wired through where those others are...across the water tank sand into the battery box, where I have also put the solar controller.... made the battery box today for the second battery.
I can't put the panel permanently on the roof as it comes in > 1/2" too tall for me to drive the camper into the garage. Okay though as now it can be on the roof when I camp and in the garage window during the winter!"

...there is an aluminum plate (top of box?) in the roof, welded to the frame where my plug was mounted and that's where the wires should be. I don't recall seeing a black plastic cover on my ceiling over the bed, maybe because my wires were already terminated at the plug."

"View attachment 13389FWC told me my second battery would be mounted on it's side next to the first battery. It ended up under the rear dinette seat. It's hooked directly to the first battery, no switches, doubling the capacity."
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom