Solar replacement and 2 agm batteries

Deancamp

I initially thought I was going to convert to lithium batteries when replacing my solar panel but after continued research I have decided to replace my no longer working 160w solar panel with 200w. I am also installing 2 90ah amg batteries. I have my batteries and I am looking at solar panels. I'm not looking for the best panel but more of a good quality panel for the money. I have been looking at the Renogy 200w bendable panel and Bougerv 200w curve. Any thoughts on those 2 or other options? Also when mounting my batteries, can they be right next to each other, touching? Thanks for any help. More questions to come as the project moves forward.

I see nothing wrong with your plan to stay with AGM batteries and get a larger solar panel. My ATC Cougar is similarly equipped. I’m into simple.

Not so sure about the batteries physically touching. My preference would be to have them in separate battery boxes, well secured to prevent movement.

The batteries can be touching. Securely mounting them as Wandering... suggests is a VERY good idea.
Myself and others here have found that bendable panels are not as durable as the heavy commercial/glass units.

I did think from my research that the rigid panels are more durable. I have roof mounts already so I would not be putting additional holes into the roof. Do you do anything to account for the additional weight, for when raising the roof or just deal with it? My wife struggles with it now but is determined to raise the roof herself. Stronger struts??

Just another comment on batteries touching being OK: lots of residential solar setups in the past had large banks of automotive style lead acid batteries tightly packed together.

When comparing solar panels what do these things mean?
1) Open Circuit Voltage
2) Short Circuit Voltage
3) Optimum Operating Voltage
4) Optimum Operating Current

1) open circuit voltage is the highest voltage the panel will generate in full sun with nothing connected to it other than a volt meter. No load current path, hence the circuit is “open.” You need to make sure your solar charger can handle the open circuit voltage of your panel network. For a Victron MPPT 100/30, that’s what the 100 is referring to.

2) short circuit current is just that - short the panel terminals through an ammeter when the panel is in full sun, and measure the current. This is the highest current the panel can put out. You need to make sure your panel wiring can handle this current without overheating.

3) optimum operating voltage is the voltage at which the panel can deliver the most power (watts)

4) optimum operating current is the maximum current that can be delivered at the optimum voltage, resulting in the greatest power output. You want to make sure your wiring can handle this current without excessive voltage drop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom