SOLD – TWO, Indel / Webasto BI-41 Built In Fridge/Freezer Units

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman
What’s What

I purchased TWO of these Indel/Webasto BI-41 built in (41 liters, 1.45 cubic feet capacity) fridge/freezer units from a marine supply store shortly after I made a deposit on my ATC Bobcat Shell camper in 2010.

I already had one BI-41 in my Ericson 30’ sailboat and really liked it, so I thought I’d put these two in my new ATC Bobcat Shell camper.

When I completely changed the usage purpose and rebuilt the interior of my ATC Bobcat Shell camper, I changed these two BI-41’s out for a built in Truck Fridge, front loading fridge with a small freezer. I thought I might have another use for the BI-41’s in another vehicle, so I stored them for a while, however, that is not the case, and thus these TWO Indel/Webasto BI-41 built in fridge/freezer units are for sale.

Basic Details

Here’s the Indel/Webasto web site with some details on the BI-41 unit.

These units can be set to a low of 14 degrees F (-10 degrees C), up to 50 degrees F (10 degrees C) and infinitely anything in between. The Danfoss BD-35 compressor can be mounted on the bottom of the box (as it is when shipped, see photos below) or up to almost 5 feet or 1.5 meters away from the box. They have stainless interior walls with an interior plastic bottom. These units can operate at up to a 30 degree tilt and are designed for use in sailboats. No worries about being level, ever.

These units have a loose, insulated top that allows options to adapt to your installation design; i.e., you can figure out how you want them to open; hinged, make a counter top cover (like I did, leaving the tops loose), or otherwise.

The interior has a sliding and removable plastic coated basket, currently in “like new” condition. Sometimes I used the basket(s), sometimes I didn’t.

Power Details

These are 12 VDC or 24 VDC ONLY.

NO 110 VAC shore power and NO propane is used directly connected to these units.

I used them on the 12 VDC setting. I have a 135 watt solar panel, a single 100 amp hour AGM battery, with LED lights, & fantastic fan. I never had an issue with having enough 12 VDC power. My camper is NOT connected to the truck's electrical system in any way, shape or form.

My start up amps for the top loading, BI-41, 1.45 cu./ft. fridge were 4.1 amps over the first 15-20 minutes from a starting temp of about 72 degrees cooling down to 34 degrees, and hourly amp usage at the desired or set temp was about 0.8 amps per hour daytime, and 0.4 amps per hour overnight. My experience with this fridge/freezer was that it used less than 20 amps in a 24 hour period of time. Technical details for this unit published by Indel/Webasto say about 22.5 amps in a 24 hour period of time. This unit uses the highly efficient Danfoss BD-35, 12 VDC compressor, "marine" grade unit. Some of the advertisements say they now use the BD-50, 12 VDC compressors, not quite as energy efficient.

The temperature control is sort of “old school” in that it is a dial with numbers on it and you rotate the dial and use a thermometer to measure the temp you get at any position on the dial. There are no detent positions on the dial, it has some friction, however, it can be set at any rotational position you want. The technique is, set the dial, read the temp, adjust the dial, read the temp, and keep at it until you find the temp you want. Once I did that the dial never moved so, I was set for about 3 – 4 years of use. I used a bottle probe thermometer with a digital read-out and that worked for me. The unit can be set to a fridge or a freezer, but, not both at the same time. That’s why I got two of them, one was used as a fridge and the other was my freezer (41 liters of freezer).

My Installation Details

Here are some photos on my interior build showing the location of the fridge/freezers and the compressors located below on the camper inside wheel well step and vented into the interior of camper. No one could ever tell that the compressors were running, even at night under very quiet conditions. The compressor pump and compressor fan just don’t make much noise.

gallery_2702_1189_139956.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_91782.jpg

Current Condition Photos

Here’s some photos of these BI-41’s showing some of the details.

gallery_2702_1189_173896.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_109821.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_124286.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_71354.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_69275.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_178794.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_88930.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_41697.jpg

gallery_2702_1189_46317.jpg

Measurements for those that are interested in building these into their camper.

The measurements of the outside of the BI-41 are 19.5” L x 13-3/8” W x 23.5” H including compressor mounted under, or 24” H including compressor mounted under and the ½” top on.

The compressor is 11” L x 7” W x 6” H.

So the Height of the fridge/freezer box without the compressor mounted to the bottom is 23.5” – 6” = 17.5” without the top, or 24” – 6” = 18” with the top on.

Selling Price

[SIZE=11pt]The Indel/Webasto BI-41 is still being sold today. The average new price is usually around $900 - $1,000. Sure Marine Service, BI-41. [/SIZE]

These units, I have two of them, are being sold for $200 EACH, plus shipping (if necessary).

These are used units with about 3-4 years of use. I think they have many more years in them. They have been very reliable after all sorts of rough driving conditions. They are designed to take a pounding in the open ocean. To me, they look to be in very good shape and ready to be built into another camper.

I’ve learned and benefited so much from being a WTW forum member, the price of these BI-41’s reflects my desire to pay it forward with a good deal for 1 or 2 WTW forum member(s).

Delivery

I’ve done some rough calculations of shipping a 24” x 24” x 34”, 50 lb. box (a bigger box than shown in the photos and packed well for good protection) via UPS and FedEx and the cost to deliver it and the packing materials required is about $150 each, for just about any location up and down the west coast (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona and Northern California). So, total cost would be around $350 EACH for the BI-41 and the shipping. That’s still a reasonable cost for such a good fridge/freezer unit. This is another reason why I’m selling these at the $200 each price, the shipping is expensive. Farther shipping distances and costs will need to be calculated if going farther.

In my opinion, the best solution is to get these yourself, i.e., that they be handed off to you in person by me to avoid the cost of packaging and shipping. Probably a lot better to have you transport them, rather than a possibly rough UPS or FedEX handler deal with them, however, I’ll pack them well if that’s the way to go.

I could help you out by meeting you at some spot within a reasonable driving distance of my home; let’s say around 1 hour or so, one way, from Santa Barbara.

However, currently that only applies to going NORTH as the 101 Freeway is completely closed just south of me due to the Montecito mud slides that Cal Trans can’t seem to clear up (they can’t find and/or unclog the freeway runoff drains and hillside runoff water is still happening with more rain on the way). If you are south of me, you could seal the deal by sending the $, then when the freeway going south opens, we can meet up.

If you only want one BI-41 do a drive of $150 cost of gas or less, or, 2) if you want to take both of these BI-41’s, do a round trip drive of $300 cost of gas or less, meeting me about an hour or so from my home in Santa Barbara.

Send a PM to me if you are interested.

I’ve tried to think about any questions you might have and tried to answer them ahead of time, and provided a lot of photos, however, ask any questions you want in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom