Some of the earliest wanderers were self propelled

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
A friend sent me this article, which includes a detailed map of cycling routes in California, 1896
Pretty cool map. I'm amazed how many travel routes were defined within the first fifty years of development.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/10/21/history_of_cycling_map_of_possible_routes.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

I like their rating system for the cycling routes. Something similar to what we do with our mountaineering descriptions.
But my all time favorite rating system dates from 19th Century British climbing: starting with
Moderate (M), Difficult (D), Hard Diff (HD), Very Difficult (VD), Hard Very Difficult (HVD), Severe (S), Hard Severe (HS), Very Severe (VS), Hard Very Severe (HVS) and Extremely Severe,

Andy thanks for the post.I enjoyed the "old" map of Ca.
When out and about I am always interested in the old hwy cuts and re-routes.Just seeing where years ago the road went and how it has improved now from the past road.
In some cases we can still take the old ones,like hwy 66,back in Dec of 1966 I traveled that famed road just before it became inter-stated.
The section left now doesn't give that good a look at what that "mother" road was like.Fond memories.
Thanks.
Frank

It omits a lot of southern California, but I can hear "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head".
If you get the reference, welcome to the Old Fahrts Club.

Back
Top Bottom