Something New Is Afoot

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Here is a real surprise. Julie and I made a quick trip to eastern Oregon and purchased a new truck. Extended cab Ford Rangers with the FX4 package are hard to find. Our new truck is a 2021 with 17500 miles.

New-Ranger-Sept-2024-copy.webp

Yes, the very first thing Julie checked out were the lower control arms. During her part of the test drive I suggested she put her foot into the pedal. "Wow!" is what she said. Now back home, we went through all our options on making our All Terrain Camper - built for our 2003 Ranger - fit the new truck. All were problematic so we decided it best to put a new camper on it. We ordered a Bobcat shell today from Marty and I will build out another camper, pretty much duplicating our current set up.

This new rig and camper will last us into our nineties.

Also, a big thank you to the Wander the West members I asked for feedback and comments on their newer Ford Rangers before Julie and I went on the hunt for a new truck.

Our 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II is in great shape. We just returned from a 2000 mile trip to Idaho and Colorado and I would not hesitate to hop in for a trip to anywhere in the US. We are thinking for the long term - how many years ahead do we want to continue with our adventuring - and figured it was time for a newer truck.

Last edited:
Wow, this is big news! Congratulations! So when you get up in the morning and decide to go on a trip, how will you decide which truck/camper to use? OK, silly question. I assume you'll let someone else have the previous setup.

I recall how we decided to get a camper. I said to Deb "in five years, will we wish we'd gotten a camper five years ago?"

I'll be curious how you set up the new one -- any small changes, etc.

Last edited:
congrats, and good luck. low miles , and i like the extended cab design (vs the larger back seat area). i think u have squeezed a LOT out of your current truck.
did u find it on craigslist or FBmarket place ?

I'm curious what you like about the 2021 vs the 2003 truck. Did Ford do the right thing for you, or do you think the older one had better features?

Back
Top Bottom