Something to Get You Thinking About Winter

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
A link to this video came across my email desk from a good friend and mountaineer. I enjoyed it. Many of you may also.

Wow, just Wow! I wonder how many times I've looked up from the lifts and regular slopes in Little Cottonwood and Big Cottonwood canyons to see backcountry "chutists" doing their thing, including some amazing 3-pin descents. It's been a whole lot of times since the early 1980s, for sure.

Caroline's story is a great one. So glad you shared it, Ski.

Foy

Great Story!
Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard of her before but I can't understand why anyone would want to cut her down. She clearly has the skills and determination to do this...

Impressive! As a world class acrophobe, I can only watch in awe of the abilities and drive this lady possesses. Thanks for sharing!

Wow! That was inspiring! Some of that looks really fun. Some looks way beyond what I would ever try. I am much more a resort and back side/sidecountry skier myself, and in storm cycles, often stay in the controlled terrain as I do not trust my own snow science and safety knowledge enough to venture far. As my kids age out of childhood, I am looking at doing at least some touring and light mountaineering. That inspires me to learn more. I came from a pacific snow pack in the Cascades, and the Intermountain snow pack with all of its layers is intimidating. Will need to make time to learn more and try some good low angle stuff.

Right now, winter is coming back again to my neck of the woods! Sun Valley's Bald Mountain is open for kids' race team training, and will open to the public on Thursday. Hoping for another great snow year, as it is predicted to be good. Last year was pretty special in terms of snow years so will be hard to beat. In any case, getting excited for hopefully a great winter! Here is a vid showing last year's fun to help also spread some winter excitement!

Something to remember about angle of repose...

“Most avalanches occur on slopes between 30 and 45 degrees, but can occur on any slope angles given the right conditions. ... Very dry or granular snow will most likely avalanche on a slope close to the 22 degree angle of repose.”

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Something to remember about angle of repose...

“Most avalanches occur on slopes between 30 and 45 degrees, but can occur on any slope angles given the right conditions. ... Very dry or granular snow will most likely avalanche on a slope close to the 22 degree angle of repose.”
Yep, and we have a lot of slopes right in that first range. And the second statement is just scary. Plus, my Crystal Mountain and White Pass, Washington cascade wet snow head I developed as a youth sees slopes and just wants to hit them. I figure I will continue to learn more about beacon use, my own testing and observation knowledge and use (comparatively minimal so far) and go with those that know for now. And, since I teach and work on Baldy, stay there most of the time.

This place is a good resource for local info. Early season now, but they will start with pretty much daily reports soon.

https://www.sawtoothavalanche.com/adv-full.php

My son and I decided not to go on Sunday after reading that. Others were having a good time, but we are conservative, and figured it is so early, the southerly facing areas that were reported to be safer would be a good place to harvest base welds.

Definitely getting excited to start the ski season! Not much snow yet in the Aspen area yet, hopefully it will start dumping in December.

Picked up my 2016 Fleet shell this spring which we built out this summer. Planning on multiple back country ski trips with the Fleet as the base camp. I have searched the forums for as much as I can find, but does anyone have their essential tricks to winter camping?

ski3pin - after 30 years of telemark I gave into the dark side ,randonee, and would never go back now, having too much fun!

Caroline rocks!

Scott81621 said:
ski3pin - after 30 years of telemark I gave into the dark side ,randonee, and would never go back now, having too much fun!
We have heard the same from so so many friends and back country travelers. Yup, we know well what it feels like being left behind by the big boards and clamped down heels. We are lucky we have backcountry friends that enjoy having a couple old relics along for entertainment. Since we enjoy long tours that include challenging terrain and descents - not just peak bagging - we will most likely remain dinosaurs. :)

Back
Top Bottom