South Warner Wilderness - July 2020

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Here's the final chapter of our 11 day journey. Our trip started with a stop in the Warner Mountains and we ended it with a pleasant return to the Warner Mountains. We can still smell the pungent mule ears and volcanic soil. I have the photos and story posted to our blog and you are most welcome to find it here -

South Warner Wilderness - July 2020

Please enjoy! :)

Oh my, I haven’t been that far south in the Warners. Add one more to the list of places to visit.

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along.

The South Warner Wilderness is neat, off the beaten path and usually not to crowded; lot's of folks like to camp at one of the bordering CG's and then overnight into one of the lakes for some good fishing! Last time I was at Pepperdine was right after I had some noninvasive surgery on my knee and I had this great idea to test my knee and see how far I could walk up that trail and maybe do a little fishing at one of the lakes. This was only my second time out and I made it about a couple of hundred yards up that first steep part of the trail before I realized I was not ready yet, so I'm glad you finished that hike for me :cool:! I spent a next few days there enjoying wind in the pine trees, a little vodka and trying to hide from the horse flies! Again, thanks for taking me along!

As a note and just as when you use any wilderness area, watch the weather, I remember not to much after transferring up to NE California in 1980, a couple of back packers froze to death when they got caught in a early fall snow storm up there!

Smoke

What a nice series of rambles- enjoyed all your recent trip reports. Good diversion for those of us stuck at home. Fun to see the pic of prairie smoke- one of our favorite native plants here. Also- nothing better than an empty campground. Thanks for writing up your travels. :)

Thanks for the fun ride.
I always like visiting the area of our north state,and south Oregon.
Seeing Mt.Shasta from almost everywhere you go is so cool.
No wonder the first people felt so spiritual about the mountain.
Great trip.
Frank

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Oh my, I haven’t been that far south in the Warners. Add one more to the list of places to visit.

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along.
You are most welcome, Mr. Sage. Thank you! :)

Smokecreek1 said:
The South Warner Wilderness is neat, off the beaten path and usually not to crowded; lot's of folks like to camp at one of the bordering CG's and then overnight into one of the lakes for some good fishing! Last time I was at Pepperdine was right after I had some noninvasive surgery on my knee and I had this great idea to test my knee and see how far I could walk up that trail and maybe do a little fishing at one of the lakes. This was only my second time out and I made it about a couple of hundred yards up that first steep part of the trail before I realized I was not ready yet, so I'm glad you finished that hike for me :cool:! I spent a next few days there enjoying wind in the pine trees, a little vodka and trying to hide from the horse flies! Again, thanks for taking me along!

As a note and just as when you use any wilderness area, watch the weather, I remember not to much after transferring up to NE California in 1980, a couple of back packers froze to death when they got caught in a early fall snow storm up there!

Smoke
Thanks Smoke! Good stories. And, thanks for the note about the weather and such. That's the reason we always carry the ten essentials and are prepared to spend an unplanned night out and ready to help others.

takesiteasy said:
What a nice series of rambles- enjoyed all your recent trip reports. Good diversion for those of us stuck at home. Fun to see the pic of prairie smoke- one of our favorite native plants here. Also- nothing better than an empty campground. Thanks for writing up your travels. :)
Al, thanks for chiming in with your always much appreciated kind comments! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for the fun ride.
I always like visiting the area of our north state,and south Oregon.
Seeing Mt.Shasta from almost everywhere you go is so cool.
No wonder the first people felt so spiritual about the mountain.
Great trip.
Frank
Frank, you are very kind, thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom