Southern Idaho Wanderings

GBW

Advanced Member
Wanderers,

I've got a issue, a problem per se. I have a bunch of time off and don't know what to do. I'm heading to the NW corner of Montana for some rock climbing with the wife from June 29 to July 2. I have the rest of the week off and don't have to be back at work until July 9th. I was thinking of taking a long detour down to Southern Idaho. I've spent a ton of time in the northern panhandle, around Sandpoint but haven't ever ventured further. We both rock climb, so hitting City of Rocks is key. Beyond that, I have no clue. I'd like to check out some small towns, old mining towns, ghost towns, small hikes, scenic backroads. I don't want to do any hardcore wheeling with the pickup but I am more than willing to give it a workout and get it dirty.

I'd ideally like remote camp sites or state parks with minor facilities. I have a good backroads book of Idaho and a handheld GPS.

Shoot me some ideas guys, I have a few places I'd like to see, Salmon has been recommended to visit. Thanks for the help!

GBW

GBW,

I've only made a US 93 drive-by, but I've been intrigued by the area framed by US 93 on the east, I-80 on the south, NV 225/ID 51 on the west, and the Snake River canyon on the north. Within this area is Jarbidge, NV, accessed in season (generally beginning late June) from the south and wast from Elko and Mountain City, NV, from the northeast from Rogerson, ID, and from the northwest from Mountain Home, ID. There is fuel available in Jarbidge, including diesel, as of this time last year, according to Penny who runs the store. The Bruneau River and Jarbidge River canyons are high-quality paddling waters, the Jarbidge Wilderness peaks reach +11,000', and there is what looks to be a good network of NF roads running out of the Jarbidge River canyon over to the Bruneau and again over to the Owyhee near Mountain City. I'd get in touch with some locals (Lowell Prunty, an elk guide, Penny at the Jarbidge general store, and most anybody at the Elko office of the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF, contact info all readily searchable) to check road conditions before heading in, but I suspect as mild as the winter was, the Coon Creek Summit and Bear Creek Summits are open now, and possibly the washouts from the runoff aren't as bad as they were last year, when the summits (passes) didn't open until mid-July.

Foy

Silver City is well worth a trip. It's one of the best mining towns I've ever been to. Other than that, Jarbidge is also pretty neat and the drive into town from the north offers a lot of nice camping as well.

http://www.westernmininghistory.com/towns/idaho/silver-city/

http://www.westernmininghistory.com/towns/nevada/jarbidge/

Doesn't sound like much of a problem at all. If you have not been to the city before you're in for a treat. Great scenic camping and climbing, and the Almo outpost is a must visit for good food and the only beer close to the city. If your heading down from montana, you might want to detour through Ketchum and the sawtooths.

If you guys mtn bike you really have to try the biking in the sun valley area. If not, there is great climbing there too. Plenty of back roads and even good free camping in the between Stanley and Ketchum. In the City definately climb skyline, rye crisp, and wheat thin if your into easy to moderate gear climbing. Oh, and I almost forgot, besides good beer and steak at the Almo Outpost, they have great peach pie!

My wife rapping Rye Crisp, for some stoke!

136_3638.JPG

Ride Sun Valley is a mountain bike festival happening at Sun Valley from the end of June through the first week of July. We were planning on heading down to ride a bit, but our new house closes on July 3rd so it's a no go. Even if you dont ride, should be lots of good people, good spectating of US Open races, bands beers etc. So do that! And let me know how it was! If you haven't been, the town of Hailey is super nice, great scenery and lots of good food, bars, etc.

Plus, if you could swing July 4th there I'm sure it would be a good party! There's enough money in the area that I bet they put on a decent fireworks show :cool:

We both really liked the Bonanza and Custer ghost towns. Some really cool stuff to see, an absolutely beautiful part of the state and a cool (smooth) dirt road drive to get to them. They are not that far from Sun Valley either so you could roll it into one mission.

That's my $.02. Enjoy your trip!

My rig on the way into Bonanza
DPP10-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom